5060 Speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mine is always set to shq and the 2592x1728 image size giving a 3:2 ratio ideal for the prints i generally do. i don't find write speed is an issue as the buffer is ample for about 5 machine gunned shots before slow down is noticed. if you're using external flash, you can't machine gun anyway as the nanny firmware turns the flash sync off. :mad1:

Wildcard:
You can downsize the pic as well as the resolution and get faster write times, but why get a camera this nice if your just taking snapshots?

Okay RAW and TIFF are higher quality but how much resolution do you need for your pictures? The write time for RAW and TIFF will always be longer due to the file size, regardless of how fast your card is. This means that you may not be able to take your next shot so quickly. Not a problem if it's something that's not going anywhere but not so good if you're tracking a moving target. I've even dived with a pro photographer who likes to stay with SHQ for this very reason and his shots are high enough quality for publications

Speed can be increased by using manual focus. I set up several My Mode settings, each for different focal distances. For example, one for super macro, another for close-ups, and another for distances several feet away. You can save the preset focus by setting the focus (while in the my mode setting) and then updating by using the Save Current Settings option. You don't need perfect focus as long as the subject is within the depth of field.

Here's a link to a depth of field calculator:
http://www.outsight.com/hyperfocal.html

It never occured to me that you could 'machine gun', I guess I've been trained by computers to not do anything else while a 'busy' status bar appeared. That will help too.

Well, guys, thanks for your help. I leave today for Belize. I'll post a couple of my favorites when I get back.

Back
Top Bottom