5050 Malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MsParamedic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
When I powered up my 5050 today (out of the housing), I got 3 beeps, the lense wouldn't extend and the camera shut itself off. Anyone have any suggestions? Or does my beloved 5050 need to be sent to the Oly hospital??

Thanks!

Hi Ms Paramedic,

I had a similar experience. All I had to do was put in fresh batteries.
I hope that is what you have encountered. Please keep us posted.
take care,
Mike

Maybe a dumb questio but did yout ake the lens cover off? Don't ask me how I know this! :06: :11:

Put in fresh batteries and try again.

Take the batteries out and leave them out overnight. It will reset to factory defaults.

I recently had some problems and one of the techs told me to turn it off and on several times....this is the electronic equivilent to the whack method of film cameras!

If all this fails, call Oly repair and describe your problem. They'll probably have you send it in but they'll check everything out.

I tried new batteries...and believe me Dee--I know about the lense cover thingy too!!

Im going to leave the batteries out over night and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

MsParamedic:
I tried new batteries...and believe me Dee--I know about the lense cover thingy too!!

Im going to leave the batteries out over night and see what happens.

Thanks everyone!

Hello,

I had similar problems with my Olympus 5060W. Olympus helpdesk also said it was due to low battery levels. But a brand new battery did not corrected the problems. I also did a reset but that did not work either. Olympus said afther this that it was an internal powerproblem. So it was back to Olympus, i did not receive my camera back yet. :frown:

JD, your 5060 and my 5050 must have the same "flu bug". I just spoke with the Oly tech support, so mine will soon be on the way to the "Oly Hospital". Thanks for all the help everyone!

JDVink:
Hello,

I had similar problems with my Olympus 5060W. Olympus helpdesk also said it was due to low battery levels. But a brand new battery did not corrected the problems. I also did a reset but that did not work either. Olympus said afther this that it was an internal powerproblem. So it was back to Olympus, i did not receive my camera back yet. :frown:

If they've had or camera awhile call and check the status. I sent my 5060 back because it was showing "Zoom error" on the screen and would shut itself off. Their repair status website showed they received it, approved it for warranty repair and were working on it.

After about a month the status hadn't changed on the website and I hadn't heard from them. When I called they said they changed their mind on the warranty status - after they started repairing it the tech thinks it was abused and should not be covered. They couldn't explain why they never notified me of this.

To this day their website still shows warranty approval. Their customer service department keeps transferring me to voice mail and nobody calls back. Needless to say I'm not impressed with Oly service. Hope you have better luck!

MsParamedic:
Gee...now Im worried about my camera! I sent it to Oly last week...so I guess I better get an update on it!

Hello,

I got my camera back from Olympus (took 6 weeks). They replaced the entire lens, no charge. Works fine again :D .

I have sent 2 things back to Oly (camera after flood & cracked housing) and have had 0 trouble getting them back. I sent it to the workshop in California, where did you send yours to MsParamedic? ArizSig?
One time I turned my camera on and was holding it kinda strange and the skin of my finger (guess I have flabby fingers?) got stuck between the extentions of the lens, nasty pinch! Didn't work right after that for a while, just kept putting batteries in - turning on and off....about a week or two later it was ok again...go figure

Back
Top Bottom