5050 Big Prints

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubapauly

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone tried printing to A3 from the Oly 5050 SHQ enlarge mode? Thinking of getting an A3 printer for my new toy. Just wondering about the quality. Already on above water shots I get great results with my old HP 720 printer. Reading thru the manual it says you should get the same quality printing up to A3. Just can't find anywhere that will let me print somme off at A3 to have a look.
Welcome any comments.

Scubapauly

I'm not sure what A3 is! But I'll soon have a 5050 so I'm interested in the answer.

If that is 8x10 then I have had some topside prints done at a photo shop that looked very good. They were in regular SHQ mode not enlarged mode.

Isn't A3 paper approx. 13"x 19"???

If that’s the case, and Thanks to TedJ for pointing me in the right direction, I've had prints done on a laser color printer at 12" x 18" with astonishing results .......

Very very pleased with the outcome ..... to bad there isn’t a standard frame for that size

Epson has a printer for about $700 that prints edge-to-edge 12x18 or maybe even larger.

I have in my office a print made with this printer (it's the one with the archival inks) that's spectacular in its clarity.

I have access to a $35,000 color printer (using toner) and the quality of the images printed on it are "flat" compared to the prints from the Epson.

is 16.5 x 11.7 inches (42 x 29.70 cm)

See, the problem with digital is there is a limit to how big you can print. Even a top of the range thingy like a Nikon D100 can only do 3008 x 2000 pixels. You would be hard pressed to take that above Super A3 (13 x 19 inches - that's the one you were thinking of, Scotty!) without it looking pretty yucky.

I have an Epson Photo 1270, which I think has now been replaced by the 1290. It prints up to Super A3 size, and at 300dpi it prints as good as a photograph can look. Pauly, I would suggest something like that. I think you could pick one up for about £300.

Jim

Finesse once bubbled...
Isn't A3 paper approx. 13"x 19"???

If that’s the case, and Thanks to TedJ for pointing me in the right direction, I've had prints done on a laser color printer at 12" x 18" with astonishing results .......

Very very pleased with the outcome ..... to bad there isn’t a standard frame for that size

Glad I could help. This is also where playing with cropping or slight adjustments in quality level to achieve a certain frame size can be accomplished, although I'm not advocating cropping only for the frame size. I think cropping should be done, if necessary, for artistic reasons primarily. You can also, of course, buy a slightly larger frame and matte to fit. But then I'm not a picture framer!

TedJ

Well hello there my dear Scuba. :)

Hmm, I seem to remember talk of you sending us, your most treasured FP friends, an A3 print of us with some sharks, eh? :wink:

I am indeed planning to do such a thing, but I am gping to see my frIendly hi res scanman in a couple of weeks time, and I am going to get him to do it properly, so it comes out just peachy.

So you hold your horses for a while longer and it shall arrive at your doorstep before you can say floccinaucinihilipilification

And in fact it was giong to be super A3 you lucky lucky personages, you! :)

How are you and the pill peddler?!!! :)

I am holding my horses. I would nevah get upset with my Scuba. Tee hee. Can't hardly wait.

Life is good. Lots going on - you and my better half should chat. Hope all is well for you and the girls. Give them a big smooch from their buddies across the pond.

:)

Back
Top Bottom