50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Age 53. Mostly saltwater bays and inlets around New Jersey. Have OW, thinking about going for AOW this year. My favorite LDS is Divers Two, Avon By The Sea, NJ.

Will be 60 in May, live in WV(the diving capital of the world) and dive where ever I can get to water. My friends say I will dive in a mud puddle--this is true. By the way how old do you have to be to retire from this sport? I have been doing it for 44 years--finishing Tech diving course and thought I could dive until 85.

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

I'll be 50 this year. I am excited because I will be the youngest competitor in the Senior Olympics track and field competitions, I think this will be an advantage. Last year I was the Canadian Nation Champion for my age group at the Masters track and field championships in shot put, discus, second in long jump.

I live in Whistler British Columbia, the site of this years winter Olympics!! I get about 30 - 40 days of skiing a year in.

I dive in British Columbia, Hawaii, Mexico on a regular basis, and have made trips in the last few years to The Orkney Islands, Palau, Guam, Truuk Lagoon, San Diego.
Planning a trip to Belize, Narvik Norway...check that out for wreck diving, California for Great Whites this September.
No favourite dive shop
current certifications:
PADI: MSDT instructor
TDI: Advanced Nitrox Instructor Trainer
TDI: Deco procedures instructor trainer
TDI: Trimix instructor
IANTD: same as above
IANTD: Full tech cave diver

Also I am writing this from our place in Maui where i just spent the day surfing overhead wave at Honolua bay.

I throw this extra stuff in because I am starting to believe that it is true that old guys do rule....lol

OK, I am and wanted to see how many more of us are out there.
Where do you live?
Where do you dive?
Favorite dive shop?
Current certification?

opening day at Haigh quarry,kankakee,il.......was there and dove,--30 ft vis.,cold,rainy...........new year !!!!!

Compass Lake, Florida
Panama City, Florida
Dive Locker
Open Water NAUI 1981

Spearfish, spearfish, spearfish.......I'm addicted......29 years now!

Stoned this AJ last Sunday.

Attachments

• P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 103
Theres a boatload (!) of us 50+ divers diving out of Phoenix Arizona. AOW both my husband and I. Favorite dive shop is Phoenix Scuba. Been to Cozumel and Utila plus several Cali dives in the last year. AND theres always muddy old Lake Pleasant to do check out dives in. I'm not picky. If you point me towards saltwater and stick a reg in my mouth I"m game to dive.

Theres a boatload (!) of us 50+ divers diving out of Phoenix Arizona. AOW both my husband and I. Favorite dive shop is Phoenix Scuba. Been to Cozumel and Utila plus several Cali dives in the last year. AND theres always muddy old Lake Pleasant to do check out dives in. I'm not picky. If you point me towards saltwater and stick a reg in my mouth I"m game to dive.

I run a few group trips a year and for whatever reason, we're all 50+. A few are from the Phoenix area, a few from Texas and one ole fart is from the east coast. :D

Some of us have been diving together for more than 6 years now... heading to Dominica this June and looks like they want me to take them to Little Cayman next summer.

We would love to have you come along with us!

It's a pain in the A$$ to get older! I just had my summer diving nipped in the bud by the need for a quadruple bypass. I had no problem while diving 17 times in PdC in Feb and March but walking up stairs just about did me in. Oh well I have to wait until next March and will get going again in Medxico. I was really looking forward to getting used to dry suit diving this summer too.

Hi. It looks like this thread is still fairly active, so...

I'm 57 and didn't realize I was old until I read this thread. Huh. I started free diving at Los Coronados islands (off Tijuana, Mexico) when I was 11, spent most of my time at La Jolla Cove when I was 13-15 and then started going to Scotsman's Cove (between Newport and Laguna, SoCal) around 15 and still go there. I got certified in 1969 by NAUI and went through the coarse again with my wife in 1983 just so I'd be sure they taught her right. I have no idea how many hours I have underwater--thousands? I used to like to spearfish while free diving but gravitated towards photography later on. Still have my spearguns though. I've been to Catalina several times but never took a diving vacation, mainly cause I'm afraid to get on an airliner and can't stand rock and roll and I figure if the plane doesn't crash then they'll be playing rock and roll everywhere when I get there. I don't use a dive computer or BC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom