50+ year old divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+3 in January.
Currently diving in Alabama, South Carolina and Florida
Mostly Quarries and Springs
Was sick on the last cruise to Grand Cayman and Roatan....wife dove, I couldn't
Going to Vortex Springs in Florida this weekend
Back to Roatan for a week in June.

I live in Tampa. Moved here from Nor Cal, where I dove the Hawaiian Islands, South Pacific, the entire west coast and coastal islands since 1989.
I presently dive the local springs, grottos, Gulf, East Coast out of Jupiter and Key Largo.
Tampa Scuba, Jupiter Dive Center, and Silent World, Key Largo are my favorite dive centers.
I am currently a PADI Assistant Insturctor, not in teaching status, soon will be.

just booked Cozumel for 10 days in June will be 63.5 years old then , and proud of it!

Also will be Vintage Go Kart racing end of this month-have built a 1961 dual engine kart that I will be running! c

Where do I live?

Melbourne, Australia

Where do I dive?

Locally, as I am about 5 minutes from the beach and shore diving is easy here. I have dived in Truk, Northern Germany, up state New York, North Carolina, Florida, Hawaii .....and Utah? yes Utah!

First dive: Melbourne with a Sea Lion twin hose in 1959.

Next dive: in the morning.

Certifications: (only 5)

YMCA: Diver
TDI: Nitrox
TDI: Rebreather
PADI: Deep Diver
NAUI: Standard Dress Diver

I collect and dive antique and vintage gear. I have about twenty double hose regulators and several early Australian single hose regulators. I have five oxygen rebreathers, but only one standard dress helmet.

Favorite SCUBA: Drager LAR VII

hi I'm 55 just got back from diving on a Blackbeards did 20 dive I was the old man on the boat and I did all the dives i was the only one to do all of them. an i'm off to Bonaire in April

Dam sure a lot of us who are old enough to know better, but either don't, or don't give a #$%&

Certed 40 years ago this spring, and started riding motorcycles that same year. Intend to be doing both until the lights go out.

... NAUI: Standard Dress Diver ...
Ok... I'll bite... what is a "Standard Dress Diver" (and I've even been to Australia!)
Rick

51 and feel like I'm going on 25. I did say 'feel'...if only I didn't have mirrors. I live on mainland Ecuador and dive in the Galapagos. Haven't been diving anywhere else in a very long time. I'm a PADI Rescue Diver and have decided to go for Divemaster. Trying to get the 400 mt (440 yards) down to 11 minutes. Sitting at 13 now. I am not sure I could have even completed 400 meters 20 years ago.

I am loving all the people in this thread who started diving in their 50's or older. Getting certified at 74? My new hero!

I don't have a local LDS. I am coming to the US next week and have arranged to have my regulator serviced. Joked with Dive Connections in Charlottesville, VA that they are my LDS...only 3,000 miles away. My other LDS is Hollywood Divers, even further. Both these shops have gone way out of their way to put together orders when people were coming down who could bring things. We have up to 300% import duty on 'luxury items.' Selection in Ecuador ... what selection? And what there is costs about 3 times more than you can find it in the US.

Back
Top Bottom