5 weeks to Galapagos- general travel questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll be in the Galapagos islands celebrating my 40th birthday 5 weeks from today.

Yes, I will post a trip report. I'm going to try to keep a daily log so I can keep it fresh.

1) I fly down on a Wednesday (this is normal). I have an hour layover in Miami on American. It's been recommended I call AA to ask this question, but I thought I'd ask here first. Is that enough time for my BAGS? I'm not worried about me unless the terminals are miles apart.

2) I get into Guyaquil late, 10:30pm. To read the US state dept website is a little scary. I'm traveling solo. Never done this before. State dept says call a taxi. Do not use one from the curb. Too many scammers and robberies. My spanish is pitiful. Hotel doesn't have transfers. I'm staying at the Grand. Suggestions?

I think thats it for now.

Thanks

1) I fly down on a Wednesday (this is normal). I have an hour layover in Miami on American. It's been recommended I call AA to ask this question, but I thought I'd ask here first. Is that enough time for my BAGS? I'm not worried about me unless the terminals are miles apart.

I have been in the Miami airport more times than I have fingers and toes, and the Miami airport isn't too bad. If I am not mistaken, they built that airport to keep all certain airline gates together in one general area. So, you wont have to go from on end of airport to the other like Atlanta. As long as you don't have any delays from you departure airport to Miami, I would say you are good to go. When you have 30 - 45 mins or less is when bags don't make their flights. And then again it goes back to the airport's layout. So, for this question, I would not even think twice about it, and wouldn't call AA to ask the same question. They will give you the same answer. Good luck with your flight.

As for the Taxi and State Department. The Government is like the media, they will ALWAYS over dramatize things. So, read what their website says, but don't let it scare ya. But I do agree with calling a cab once you are there rather than getting one from the curb. Since you have 5 weeks before you leave, I would check into some reliable cab companies there. Find a Dive Shop that goes there every so often and ask them how they get from point A to B. Or call the State Department up and see if they have any suggestions (do some research for cab companies). I would also look into beefing up on your Spanish if it is pitiful, or at least bring a English to Spanish translator book with ya. Be safe man, and good luck.

ahh.......galapagos island :)

my suggestion: arrange for a transfer prior to getting to guyaquil. why?

my flight from dc was delayed, so i would've missed the connection to guyaquil from miami. The next flight out would've been the next day and I would've missed my connecting to the islands.

After begging the folks, they put me on Avianca to Bogota columbia, then to guyaquil. I finally got to guyaquil after midnight, but the transfer guy was able to figure out somehow that I was a different airline arriving at a different time. It was such a relief that I didn't need to figure out transportation, etc to the hotel.

have fun!

Thanks to you both. State dept has a short list of recommended taxi services. I'll write those down.

ahh.......galapagos island :)

my suggestion: arrange for a transfer prior to getting to guyaquil. why?

my flight from dc was delayed, so i would've missed the connection to guyaquil from miami. The next flight out would've been the next day and I would've missed my connecting to the islands.

After begging the folks, they put me on Avianca to Bogota columbia, then to guyaquil. I finally got to guyaquil after midnight, but the transfer guy was able to figure out somehow that I was a different airline arriving at a different time. It was such a relief that I didn't need to figure out transportation, etc to the hotel.

have fun!

Do you remember who you used or how you set it up?

Thanks.

...i'm more concerned with miami...
guyaquil is a cake walk!!!
get a tour of the waterfront while youre there!!!
enjoy the experience,the people,culture,everything!!!!!
...then you get to the islands!!!!
have a wonderful trip!!!!
yaeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom