5-Star, Gold Palm? Any significance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GaTT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I see LDS ads and web sites touting the fact they are a "5-star PADI Dive Center" or a PADI "Gold Palm" Dive Shop or a "National Geographic" dive center. Other than indicating the relationship with PADI, is there any significance to the rating? If my LDS isn't a 5-star, National Geographic dive center, is it not as good as the one down the street that does have the rating? Not meaning to flame -- just don't know the significance, if any. And I wonder: Is there a 3-star dive center (not that I'd want to dive with them), or a Silver Palm Dive center?

5 stars means that the facility meets certain criteria but does not make it better than a non 5 star facility, I am sure there are some non 5 stars that teach circles around 5 star facilites. The store I teach at is not a five star although that is our goal. We're a new shop and attaining all it takes for a 5 star rating takes some time.

Here's your answer from the Instructor's manual:
The PADI Retailer Association has two primary membership levels and two additional
classifications that signify varying levels of commitment to offering PADI
diver education, dive equipment sales, service and dive experiences.
A PADI Dive Center is a retail dive store that meets membership standards
regarding dive education, equipment sales, service and experience opportunities.
PADI Dive Centers may qualify for additional recognition awards by offering
exceptional service in the following categories: 1) diver education programs, 2)
community service, and 3) environmental activities.
A PADI 5 Star Dive Center is a progressive, professional retail dive store
that has not only earned all the individual recognition awards, but also maintains
high service levels and standards for excellence in dive retailing. PADI 5 Star Dive
Centers that also qualify to offer PADI Instructor-level training are classified as
PADI 5 Star Instructor Development Centers (5 Star IDCs). PADI 5 Star IDCs that
conduct additional instructor-level training and meet requirements for assisting
dive leaders in reaching their educational and professional goals may qualify for
the PADI 5 Star Career Development Center (CDC) award.
PADI 5 Star Dive Centers may also earn the PADI National Geographic
Dive Center Award by meeting high standards for appearance and customer
service. This award qualifies these dive centers to offer the National Geographic
Diver program

As far as the difference in Gold Palm:

PADI International Resort
Association Standards​
The PADI International Resort Association has two membership levels – PIRA Member
and Gold Palm Resort, with one additional classification – Gold Palm Instructor Development
Center (Gold Palm IDC). Dive operations may qualify for the PIRA Member level in
one of three classifications, either as a Resort Dive Operator, Dive Boat or a Recreational
Facility. A PIRA Resort Dive Operator is a member that offers a variety of recreational
scuba diving or snorkeling tours, instruction and services. A PIRA Dive Boat is a member
that offers recreational scuba diving or snorkeling tours or instruction from a boat.
A PIRA Recreational Facility operates a facility containing a body of water (lake, quarry,
etc.) that is used by recreational divers and snorkelers and other recreational scuba diving
businesses.
The Gold Palm Resort membership rating identifies Resort Members that excel in
providing a combination of quality dive education, experiences and services, including
accommodation packages, to traveling divers. A Gold Palm Resort offers divers a variety
of dive programs to enhance their dive adventures while actively promoting the benefits
of environmental awareness.
The Gold Palm Instructor Development Center (Gold Palm IDC) rating denotes
a Gold Palm Resort that also offers PADI Instructor-level training. Gold Palm IDCs provide
traveling divers with the opportunity to continue their PADI education at any level
including instructor development programs and continuing education courses for dive​
professionals.

Other than indicating the relationship with PADI, is there any significance to the rating?

There is no significance to the consumer.

If my LDS isn't a 5-star, National Geographic dive center, is it not as good as the one down the street that does have the rating?

It may be better, it may be worse or it may be the same. The designation has nothing to do with quality.

Not meaning to flame -- just don't know the significance, if any.

It's a legitimate question.

And I wonder: Is there a 3-star dive center (not that I'd want to dive with them),

No. This is not a rating system, merely a marketing ploy.

or a Silver Palm Dive center?

No.

A five star facility CAN be significant as a consumer if you have the goal of becoming a scuba instructor. If your goal is to enter the professional ranks as a DM or higher, then your affiliation with a dive center that can afford you the opportunity for IDC training and IE prep, that can be economically to your advantage to have a relationship with that 5 star facility. Other than that, if you just want a good dive shop to go to then 5 star means nothing.

The ratings have just been updated so Gold Palm os being phased out and 5* retail and resorts will continue. To reach that standard before it involved air checks regularly and certain equipment, and boat standards etc as mentioned above. Saying that though as previously mentioned there are good dive shops out there that are not affiliated with the PADI ranking system. The best thing is to go along and check out the shops yourself.

The one thing that has been neglected to mention is that for a shop to be a 5-star or a Gold Palm, they must *exclusively* offer the PADI system of diver training (where applicable).

This means that if a shop is to be a 5-star, they can't also certify NAUI Open Water students (unless they're NAUI referrals), but they can deal with NAUI Tec courses (there's no official PADI Tec courses -- just DSAT TecRec).

There are also higher fees to pay, and it makes a stepping stone to 5-Star IDC rating.

For the most part, this is a marketing ploy, however, you should receive a higher-quality *PADI* training experience from a 5-star than a non-5-star, simply because it's all they do.

Back
Top Bottom