5 PADI specialties VS AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not quite. The PADI standard is to have earned the Adventure Diver certification, not to have just done the 3 Adventure Dives.
I don't have materials handy, but if the "Think Like A Diver" is part of the Adventure Diver cert, then you can get that done, and later just add the two additional dives to complete AOW.
No requirement to have the Adventure Diver certification, only to have done the 5 Adventure Dives and the associated Knowledge Reviews, plus the Thinking Like a Diver module; here is the relevant section from the current Instructor Manual:
upload_2019-4-5_15-51-1.png

Deep is the sticky bit. You can only do Deep after Adventure Diver (or AOW). I believe this is the Adventure required sense JackD342 means, for doing full specialties for AOW.

It seems you have two options:
* A: 4 specialties w/ Nav. AOW for Think plus Deep dive 1. Then Deep dives 2-4.
* B: 4 specialties w/ Nav. Adventure for Think section. Full Deep. Then AOW paperwork.

Option A is less paperwork/silliness, but a bit of scheduling or finesse of which deep dive counts where.

"If you’ve earned the PADI Adventure Diver rating or higher, and you’re at least 15 years old, you can enroll in the Deep Diver course" - Deep Diver | PADI

Deep is the sticky bit. You can only do Deep past Adventure Diver (or AOW). I believe this is the Adventure required sense JackD342 means, for doing full specialties before AOW.

It seems you have two options:
* A: 4 specialties w/ Nav, AOW consisting of Think plus Deep dive 1. Then do Deep dives 2-4.
* B: 4 specialties w/ Nav, Adventure for its Think module, Deep. Then AOW of just paperwork?

Route A seems a bit less silly. But B could be a nice exercise in testing your shop.

"If you’ve earned the PADI Adventure Diver rating or higher, and you’re at least 15 years old, you can enroll in the Deep Diver course" - Deep Diver | PADI
Correct, I was referring to the Deep Diver prerequisites, which do NOT allow immediate entry into the course without the AD or AOW certs.

You can use the one dive from AOW to go on and finish that specialty if you want. I did that with Deep, DPV, and PPB. I've not heard of doing it the opposite direction, full specialty and then crediting toward AOW, but perhaps it's possible. Thinking like a diver did not exist when I did AOW in 2004

I would probably do AOW first, and pick my 3 elective dives carefully in case I wanted to do the full specialty later. AOW is sometimes required by operators for certain dives, usually deeper. I've never been routinely asked for a specialty cert for any dive. My DPV cert and previous experience has been useful in renting a DPV.
The scenario that makes perfect sense in my Chicago training situation is to earn the full Dry Suit certification along with Advanced Open Water. First, it is silly to do the one drysuit dive, and not go on to do the 2nd dive and earn the card. For a weekend at the quarry, that sets up a nice 2 day agenda of 3 dives each. Do Drysuit 1&2 on Saturday plus another Adventure Dive (maybe Night) and then come back the next day to start off with Deep, where you can now brave that 85 foot hole in the quarry with a drysuit instead of a wetsuit. Followed by the remaining two Adventure Dives, and you have your AOW and your Drysuit done.

You can use the one dive from AOW to go on and finish that specialty if you want. I did that with Deep, DPV, and PPB. I've not heard of doing it the opposite direction, full specialty and then crediting toward AOW, but perhaps it's possible. Thinking like a diver did not exist when I did AOW in 2004

I would probably do AOW first, and pick my 3 elective dives carefully in case I wanted to do the full specialty later. AOW is sometimes required by operators for certain dives, usually deeper. I've never been routinely asked for a specialty cert for any dive. My DPV cert and previous experience has been useful in renting a DPV.
I'm sure this is the way almost everyone does it and is the simplest way. The only reasons I would consider the other way around would be either your schedule or maybe getting a "combined" sort of deal money-wise. Less complicated before they added the "Think Like a diver". I've been told this is a very good module, but there may be another reason it was added.....I think I've thought like a diver for all these years. But it's probably very good, don't want to stir up a hornet's nest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom