5 mil or 3 mil hyperstretch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking about getting either a 3 or 5 mil hyerperstretch or bare velocity wetsuit. I will be diving in cozumel, aruba, bonaire, thailand, and texas flower gardens. Also, I will be doing a bit of diving in Texas lakes. Temp ranges from 50s under thermocline to 70's above it. Also, some of the springs here have a constant 71 degree temp. Centones in Playa are also an option. I will do a dive in Seattle this summer, but I figure that I could rent there.

I also plan on buying a hood and gloves. Maybe a core warmer as well.

So would the 5 mil be too hot?

You'd probably get hot in a 5mm in some of those locations. That's a pretty wide range of temps to try to cover with one suit. Look at getting a 3mm hyperstretch and a 2pc 5mm combo.
If your budget won't allow for more than one premium wetsuit, maybe try going with a less expensive set - Hyper-flex suits and Neosport suits (both by Henderson) are less expensive but are of decent quality - you should be able to get into the set for around $300.

Or two perfectly good suite for $300.

I agree temperature swing is to great. At 50 degrees you probably want at least a 7mm and in the warmer places you mentioned a 3mm would be adequate depending on the time of year. Colder than 75 and you probably want a 5mm.

Look at it this way . . .

Suppose your mamma said, "Boy, I'm goinna to buy you a coat. Now you got two choices . . . this here thin one and this here thick one. Now iffen you git the thin one, it ain't gonna keep you warm when it gits cold. But iffen you git this here thick one, you can unbutton it iffen you gits too hot.

Hi

I found the hyperstretch wetsuits to be rather chilly and not at all like "real" wetsuits of the same thickness. For instance, my Henderson 7mm hyperstretch is about as warm as a "real" 3mm Harvey's wetsuit.

Although the hyperstretch suits are comfortable and easy to fit, I have abandoned them in favor of "real" wetsuits.

If you insist diving in 50 degree water in a hyperstretch suit, then I would go for the thickest hyperstretch you can afford and be prepared to be cold.

I dove in Cozumel in my 7mm hyperstretch in 78 degree water. It was fine, but a little chilly on the fourth dive of the day. As stated above, you can always open the zipper and cool off.

Some complain that regular wetsuits are difficult to don, but a lycra skin really simplifies the whole process.

I'm with Harry. I've moved away from hyperstretch anything back to closed cell normal suits. They retain their shape and insulation properties far longer. I've got closed cell suits that are falling apart, yet still keep me somewhat warm and hyperstretch suits that were compressed down to 1mm from 3-5mm, so naturally I go for the torn up yet warm suits every time. As to being difficult to don, I've taken to washing them in a small amount of fabric softener before a trip. After it's been wet, it's no problem to slip into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom