5-7 days - Woman traveling alone - Where to go???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you!!! I love seeing and diving the world. I'm very spoiled and blessed.

I laughed out loud to myself at your spa comment.. awesome

I hope you keep this thread updated or DM me with where you choose to go and how the experience was!

Bobby

May I ask why you have ruled out LOBs? From randomly assigned other solo traveling dive girls I've shared a cabin with (and the son of one lady I met on the previous trip) I've found some amazing friendships that extend way beyond the 11 days or 17 days confined to a cabin with them. You may not hit it off straight away - I've just had a visit from a "random cabin buddy" 6 or 7 years ago who is the polar opposite of me in every way you could imagine. We were laughing at her opinion of me when she first spotted me "My God, What Is that with that color hair, tattoos and smoking I hope she's not in my cabin" - and mine "Jesus Christ If I'm stuck in a cabin with her I think I will just stay here on Ternate and write the cost of LOB and everything else off" - she nearly froze me to death every night, frowned disapprovingly when she would see the full extent of my tattoos and guess what happened? Somehow, somewhere we found common ground. When she had a day in port in Fremantle a few weeks ago, catching up was what she elected to do and I'm damn glad that happened because I consider her a great friend and have incredible respect for her. I even wrote a blog about the experience. Another LOB lady and I spent a month traveling and diving the Mascarenes together after the LOBs we met on and she's my Chica - I'm grateful for random people on boats I've met.....all except one, if I ever see her again I will turn her air off happily. I also like personal space but what I got out of those "randoms" and turning up knowing no one and having to get past those "I hope I fit in" moments made for some deep abiding friendships.

Don't rule LOBS out. You might just find its a little more than diving you may get out of it
Leaving Ternate - The Tambora, Linda and Me, the odd couple. | Travel Blog

Hi everyone, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by choices and need advice please.

I'm flying to Singapore for work. Last year went over to Bali and dove with Gekko and had a great time. Fell in love with the area and especially loved the Bloo Lagoon Eco Lodge. Would be very happy to return, but wondering if I should try something else out.

I'm a good diver (not great or expert), mostly Caribbean plus what I did out of Padangbai last year (experienced one very strong current, that was a bit scary, but a good learning experience.) I just love being underwater in general. Pretty fish, coral, big fish...wrecks don't interest me too much, but perhaps I haven't experienced a good one yet...Liberty Wreck was soooooo crowded.)

It's easy and affordable to fly all over from Singapore....so lots of possibilities (Philippines, Thailand, Maldives, etc.) I'm not familar with any of those places, though.

I'm not opposed to a Liveaboard, haven't done one before. But I don't want to share a room.

Having time to rest during SIs is important...as I work alot and this trip is right before 4 weeks of crazy business travel. 2-4 dives a day is plenty. Spa onsite is a HUGE plus!

Budget...mid-range.

I travel a lot on my own and am pretty savvy and comfortable, even in remote areas.

I'd like a top notch dive op, where I can have a personal guide if conditions are challenging...and I love making new friends on the boat, as well.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!!!

Sad it's a short time frame.

I would just go to Bangka and call myself blessed.

Maybe you should check out this place? Gangga Island Resort

Gangga Island Resort & Spa | PADI Dive Center in Manado

May I ask why you have ruled out LOBs? From randomly assigned other solo traveling dive girls I've shared a cabin with (and the son of one lady I met on the previous trip) I've found some amazing friendships that extend way beyond the 11 days or 17 days confined to a cabin with them. You may not hit it off straight away - I've just had a visit from a "random cabin buddy" 6 or 7 years ago who is the polar opposite of me in every way you could imagine. We were laughing at her opinion of me when she first spotted me "My God, What Is that with that color hair, tattoos and smoking I hope she's not in my cabin" - and mine "Jesus Christ If I'm stuck in a cabin with her I think I will just stay here on Ternate and write the cost of LOB and everything else off" - she nearly froze me to death every night, frowned disapprovingly when she would see the full extent of my tattoos and guess what happened? Somehow, somewhere we found common ground. When she had a day in port in Fremantle a few weeks ago, catching up was what she elected to do and I'm damn glad that happened because I consider her a great friend and have incredible respect for her. I even wrote a blog about the experience. Another LOB lady and I spent a month traveling and diving the Mascarenes together after the LOBs we met on and she's my Chica - I'm grateful for random people on boats I've met.....all except one, if I ever see her again I will turn her air off happily. I also like personal space but what I got out of those "randoms" and turning up knowing no one and having to get past those "I hope I fit in" moments made for some deep abiding friendships.

Don't rule LOBS out. You might just find its a little more than diving you may get out of it

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! It's more around time to completely relax and unwind during SI. I'm working so much during this month...I'm a corporate trainer so surrounded by people and clients 16+ hours a day...and really enjoy time by myself (even as extroverted as I am.) Plus I want my first LOB with my hubby. :) I'm sure I will enjoy a LOB solo at some point...just not this trip. I completely agree with you...the friendships we create while diving is part of what creates such special experiences.

What about Lumbalumba outside Manado? You can dive both Bunaken walls and the muck and small reef sites on the Manado side. Personal service, dive guides have been with them for years and they look after you on the boat. Out on boat all day with 2 or 3 dives, lunch on the boat, toilet on the boat, so no time wasted going backwards and forwards between dives. Beautiful clean cottages, swimming pool, orchid gardens, Dutch run, superb food. They use produce from their own garden and have been "green" for years with their own reed-bed style waste processing.

We were there over Christmas and I have stayed there on my own too. You can also take a day out to go up to the Highlands or to Tangkoko Nature Reserve to see the tarsiers, couscous etc. And did I mention that you can see big pods of dolphin from the boat as you cross the bay, or orcas, or pilot whales, or sail fish.

Thanks Wingy. This has been my experience too. Some friendships are now into 20 years+. The dive world is a relatively small place, there is the pleasure of bumping into people again, catching up, and quickly settling in to the diving routine knowing what sort of diving they like.

What about Lumbalumba outside Manado? You can dive both Bunaken walls and the muck and small reef sites on the Manado side. Personal service, dive guides have been with them for years and they look after you on the boat. Out on boat all day with 2 or 3 dives, lunch on the boat, toilet on the boat, so no time wasted going backwards and forwards between dives. Beautiful clean cottages, swimming pool, orchid gardens, Dutch run, superb food. They use produce from their own garden and have been "green" for years with their own reed-bed style waste processing.

We were there over Christmas and I have stayed there on my own too. You can also take a day out to go up to the Highlands or to Tangkoko Nature Reserve to see the tarsiers, couscous etc. And did I mention that you can see big pods of dolphin from the boat as you cross the bay, or orcas, or pilot whales, or sail fish.

This looks like it may be a winner!!! Looking at reviews and photos, it is really speaking to me. (You kind of had me with 'big pods of dolphin')

Can you tell me how you get there? I'll be coming from Singapore. Looks like an easy flight from Changi to Kuala Lumpur to Banda Aceh. Then take the ferry over to the island. Is that correct? Anything to consider with the jaunt?

Thank you @pelan-pelan!

Direct flight from singapore to Manado. Lumbalumba probably sends a driver to pick you up at the airport.

I have met a few western women traveling alone here in the Philippines. None of them indicated that they were having any particular issues being solo women here, but we never specifically talked about that.

For any solo traveler, not overly familiar with the Philippines, I would just observe the standard travel precautions and you should not have any issues.

If you fly into Cebu, a taxi can take you to the ferry dock where a modern few will take you to Tagibiliran in Bohol. Most of the dive resorts on Pangalou Island will pick you up at the ferry terminal or there are plenty of registered cabs available.

Diving is coral and reefs, Two islands off shore that have good dive sites as well, lots a]of turtles.

I dove with Philippine Fun Diver, and can recommend them as a good operation.

You can also ferry to Dumaguete (I think) , again lots of dive shops there, diving is mainly muck but Apo Island is spectacular coral. Bus would be cheaper but not as nice a trip.

This looks like it may be a winner!!! Looking at reviews and photos, it is really speaking to me. (You kind of had me with 'big pods of dolphin')

Can you tell me how you get there? I'll be coming from Singapore. Looks like an easy flight from Changi to Kuala Lumpur to Banda Aceh. Then take the ferry over to the island. Is that correct? Anything to consider with the jaunt?

Thank you @pelan-pelan!
Yes, there are direct flights from Singapore. Used to be Silk Air from Singapore but now I think it is Scoot. This is still part of Singapore Airlines. Yes, Lumbalumba will pick you up at the airport, any time. Email them with any questions. They will advise you on flights and anything else you will need. Roel personally supervises the gear - so all hire gear is in top condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom