5.5 or 7mm for all year round UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lims

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, me again,,

I just baught an "Aqualung Balance Comfort 5.5mm
5.5mm one-piece and over suit and a separate hood. All in Ultrastrech Neoprene"

This was sold to me by a local store who said it was there warmest semidry.
I just changed dive schools (last one was breaking regulations, tried to do boat dive and deep dive on same dive!). I have been told by my new (very informative, I like him) instructor that for diving all year round in the UK I will need 7mm 2 piece semidry and he says the 5.5 mm aqualung I bought needs to be changed as I will get cold. What's people opinions on this? I also want to use my suit in warmer climes, I should also mention that I do get cold easier, I am thin and there is next to no fat on me, do I need to change to a 7mm or is my 5.5 OK?

Thanks again

sam

For all year round diving in the UK you want a drysuit.

5.5mm you'll freeze probably even in summer especially when you consider the cold air temperatures during surface interval.
2 piece 7mm you'll be cold but maybe ok for short dives in summer and freeze in winter.

It really isnt worth spending lots of money on a wetsuit if you want to dive in the UK.

The 5.5mm will work abroad nicely in places where the water temperature is above 20c.

I agree with String... drysuit is the way to go, even in summer. It's been a long time since I lived in the UK, but there's no way I'd dive there now without my DS. I occasionally sneak into a 7mm here in summer, I wouldn't even think about a 5mm... and our water temp is regularly over 20 degC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom