5/4/3 suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jklassy

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with a 5/4/3 suit vs. a 3/2? I tend to get cold, even in warm waters, particularly by the end of a week long live aboard. I'm looking at the 5/4/3, but I'm also a bit claustrophic and tend to hate getting in / out of the suit. I'm wondering if the 3/2 would be enough?

I'm like you and tend to chill easily - even in 28-30C waters after repetitive dives. For a while, I had considered getting a thicker wetsuit but the problem, I found, was my ill-fitting 3mm fullsuit then. I recently purchased a new 3mm fullsuit (which fits me perfectly now) and a 2.5mm hooded vest to provide added insulation. This combination gives me greater flexibility.

If you search the board, I believe you'll find 2 schools of thought: get a thicker wetsuit ('cos you can always let water in when you're too warm) or get a jacket / hooded vest etc (for versatility). IMO, both schools kinda make sense. But I would suggest getting a jecket / hooded vest since you mentioned you're "claustrophobic". Hope this helps! :wink:

I dive a 3/2 in 80+ degree waters in the gulf.
It gives protection from accidental scrapes etc. and provides insulation if a thermocline is encountered.

The water may be 84 at the surface, but it rarely is at 80 feet under.

the Kraken

I now have a 5/4/3, and other than a rented 3mm and my shortie (and 7mm Farmer John a very long time ago), I can only offer a comparison of my 5/4/3 outcomes vs. 3mm outcomes in the same water.

A number of us have been doing shore dives in Ft. Lauderdale as of late. The water temps are around 70 degrees. I've readily noticed that during, or after, my dive friends are stating they are somewhere between cold and 'frozen,' where-as I have not yet been cold. I think my warmth must come from the Evo 5/4/3 suit because some of them are even wearing hoodies, while I do not. I do wear 5mm gloves and what seem to be thicker neoprene boots, plus currently use AquaLung Rocket II fins (which might be the whole reason I am warmer).

I Own A 5/4/3 Made By Evo Which I Brought At Divers Direct In Ft. Lauderdale And It's A Grat Suit. It Optimizes Both Thermal Protection And Range Of Movement.the 5mm At The Torso Is Great For Keeping You Warm. But If You Are A Little Claustrophc It Might Not Be Great For You.the Other Way To Go Is The 3/2 Mm Full Suit. I Also Have One Which I Brought From Divers Direct It Was A O'neil Full Jumpsuit That Feels And Fits Great.and Comes With A Life Time Warrenty On The Suit By O'neil.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom