5/31 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Today's dive was my first on the wreck of the Carthaginian II which was was intentionally sunk in 97 feet of water as an artificial reef on December 13, 2005. It is located just South of Lahaina Town off Puamana County Park.

The Carthaginian II was a 90 foot replica of a 19th century merchant ship. It was docked in Lahaina since 1973 as a museum.

The ship was used in the 1966 movie "Hawaii" which was based on James Michner's book.

Atlantis bougtht the ship and spent two years getting it ready for sinking. It is a regular site for the visitors onboard the Atlantis submarine.

The submarine passed by as I was on my dive.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Atlantis submarine approaching the wreck.
4.jpg

Atlantis submarine passing the wreck.
5.jpg

Wonderful shots Jim, seems like pretty good vis.
Any fish life on the wreck?
I think I see what looks like a butterfly fish in the 3rd pic.

I'm assuming that you shot those using manual white balance alone?...... looks like it.

Lol, if I saw a submarine like that while riding, i'd prolly try and get a free ride of it, or freak out the guests on it :).

Looks like a nice wreck, how did you like it?...any critters calling it home yet? What about all those ropes in front, what are they for? shouldn't they have been removed? (just thinking out loud)

Jamdiver:
Lol, if I saw a submarine like that while riding, i'd prolly try and get a free ride of it, or freak out the guests on it :).

lol...although very tempting...Atlantis will come down hard if you did. Atlantis is the one that goes past the YO over here - not to be messed with:(

they'd be happier if you just wave to the people in the sub

justleesa:
lol...although very tempting...Atlantis will come down hard if you did. Atlantis is the one that goes past the YO over here - not to be messed with:(

they'd be happier if you just wave to the people in the sub

Ahh, guess that means no to obscene gestures then :wink: :14:.

I kid...................... I kid............!

Jamdiver:
Wonderful shots Jim, seems like pretty good vis.
Any fish life on the wreck?
I think I see what looks like a butterfly fish in the 3rd pic.

I'm assuming that you shot those using manual white balance alone?...... looks like it.

Not much marine life on it yet.
All the shots were done on manual white balance and a wide angle lens.
That is a Millitseed Butterflyfish in the third photo.
The guests on the sub were waving at me.

justleesa:
Looks like a nice wreck, how did you like it?...any critters calling it home yet? What about all those ropes in front, what are they for? shouldn't they have been removed? (just thinking out loud)

It was a good dive. The vis was very good. That area can have ripping current but not today. They pretty much left all the rigging on it.

Jamdiver:
Ahh, guess that means no to obscene gestures then :wink: :14:.

I kid...................... I kid............!

73.gif

I gave the passengers the "shaka" sign.

Back
Top Bottom