4th Element Halo 3D - SHIPPING

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would also be interested in some further updates on the halo. My arctics are wearing a bit thin these days, and am in need of a new set of undies and these have caught my eye.

Is everyone still please with these or was it just the initial shock of them and now people are starting to hate them? From what I have read they are not very warm if they are flooded, mind you what suit is. Anyways if someone or a few people can comment I am ready to pull the trigger or push the button, however you want to word it.

Steve

Well, I only have three dives on mine. It's VERY comfortable and the mobility is fantastic. One dive was done soaking wet (long story) and I thought it did okay there. I rinsed it in the washing machine and put it through the dryer on delicate and it dried in an hour with no apparent harm done.

However, it isn't very warm. I think it would absolutely rock in Southern California, in the high 50's/low 60's, or in Florida caves. But I did a nice, dry 60 minute dive in 50 degree water last night, and at the end of it, I was shivering . . . and I haven't shivered on a dive in a long time. The Whites MK3 is much warmer, even mine, which is three years and many washings old.

How did the halo compare to arctics? I currently have the arctics and have dove them down to 34 degree temps, with no base layer yup I was getting a bit chilled we were pushing 2 hrs that day, anyways I would like to get something a bit warmer as all this travel back and forth to Africa and warmer climates has made me a cold water wuss it seems, or it is time to replace my undies after 3 yrs.

Whats the scoop on weighting as well? I try to dive with just above minimal air volume in the suit so there is no squeeze but I can still move. Did you have to increase your weighting or did it remain the same?

Thanks

Steve

Sorry all, been gone the last couple weeks :wink:

I think it is warmer than my Arctics hands down. It is my favorite undergarment at this point. I do use a couple extra pounds over my arctic though, but it is worth the extra warmth.

It is not as warm as the MK3, but not nearly as bulky or hard to move in either. With the halo and a light undergarment/wicking layer, you will be warmer than the MK3 with still better mobility.

One correction... My earlier post described them as toasty after an hour at 60 degrees. Well, there was a bug in the dive log software I was using. After fixing the bug, I took another look at the log -- the bottom temp on that dive was 46 degrees, and I was there for 35 minutes without feeling any chill.

I did feel a *slight* chill, or at least notice the fact that I was diving in cold water, about 20 minutes into the deco, just short of an hour into the dive.

So yeah, i don't know if there's some undergarment somewhere that's warmer, but these things are *strong* thermal protection, stronger than arctics.

I've just made a couple of dives with Halo 3D and a Trilaminate drysuit.
The total time of each dive has been nearby 75 minutes in water always at 10° C (50 Fahrenheit degrees).
Notice tath I've been still and motionless for all the dive time because I've do team exercises...
I wear only a thermic T-Shirt and thermal protection was ok.
When the water will be colder (5° C / 41 F), I'll use a Xerotherm Base Layer under the Halo 3D and I'll sure that cold will not be a problem.

I'm very satisfied about flexibility...
Halo 3D provides more flexibilty than the neoprene drysuit (with a fleece undersuit) that I used so far (2 years).

In my first dive I've flooded my new drysuit: the dump valve has not been properly assembled and the right dry gloves have had a leakage...
Both my arms have been totally drenched, but I've not been cold.
It's the same thermal perception You could have with a good semidry suit... not very warm, but not so cold to drive You crazy...

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed at is that I need extra weight...
When I used a neoprene Drysuit I don't need lead when I use a double tank and steel backplate...
With Halo 3D and trilaminate drysuit I need about 5 kg of extra weight, and I was in FRESH water!!!

:idk:

So I cracked and bought the halo 3d about a month ago. After about 10-20 dives on the suit I can't say I love it or hate it, what I do I know is it is light years better then the DUI 400g I had, and the mk3, although the again so was my arctics, there is less bulk the. Normal undies, etc. Inalsonposted I think on the deck stop about these as well.

What I like about them:
-one piece suit;
-pretty much the same as the arctics, slightly warmer,
- my chest feels a lot warmer and I don't get the squeezing feeling as much, I tend to run my suits with
Minimal air, and not use it like a bc like some.
-fit, for me this is bang on with an xl;
-washable I think, although I can't find anything on this I. Writing, hmm I'm gonna check the garment tag here later now that I think about it;
-

Dislike:
-collar on the suit;
-location of p-valve hose entry easily fixed although I have to cut a different hole into the suit;
-padding in too of shoulders, pointless IMO;
-the logo on the back if the suit, minor I know just looks like I'm advertising for some video game.
-it's pretty much the arctic undies(yup both a con and pro);
-I need 2lbs more on a ccr to get down, I'm sure on oc I would not need anymore lead.

I'll give the suit another month to make up my mind, right now I'm leaning towards parting with them, so far they are not that much better then my 3yr old arctics, I'm sure a new arctic top and I would be just as warm for a lot less money, oh well that's what happens when you try new gear out.

Regards

Steve

I want to update my take on the garment. I took it on a dive trip to Canada, along with my MK3, and alternated them, and came to the conclusion that they were essentially comparable in insulation in 50 degree water. (I got cold with both!)

I really like the less bulky quality of it, but I miss the hand-warmer pockets, I miss the breast pocket to put things in that I want to access the minute I get out of the water, and I really miss the butt zipper for the days when I don't "accessorize". So I'm not sure I really like the Halo better, but I am definitely diving it.

About the size, I think that if You usually wear a standard size, then You will have to choose a SHORT-Size...
When I've seen the 4th element size table, I would fall into the XL standard size.
Fortunately I've read a useful topic on the forum and I've decided to order a XL-Short.
XL-Short is perfetc on my body...
Below You can find my body measurement (lengths are in centimeters): I hope they could be useful for everyone who can only order the Halo 3D without wearing it...

Misure.jpg

About washing instructions, when I've received the Halo, I've found a triangular label in the zip cursor...
It says:

PRODUCT CARE
Cold Wash , line dry, do not belach, avoid use of fabric softeners, do not iron, do not dry clean.
The technical fabrics used in this garment will last longer with care: occasionally machine wash your suit using mild detergent. Do not dry clean. No belach. Not cleaning the suit may damage and reduce flexibility possibly resulting in material failure. Store the suit when completely dry in a cool, dry place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom