40cf too big for pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other Captains have different rules

Of course they do. the vast majority of boat captains don't dictate what gear their paying passengers may dive with or how they use it. It's generally bad for business and raises serious liability concerns. Just think what would happen if a diver who normally carries a pony bottle suffers an emergency at depth and they are injured or killed, whereas the pony would have made the difference but wasn't used on the dive because the Captain said "I've seen divers use pony bottles the wrong way therefore you can't dive with yours either"..

Other Captains have different rules. Wookie said he allowed ponies on his boat, but once a diver breathed from his he was done diving for the day.

Certified divers are responsible for how they dive and what gear they use and don't need a boat captain telling them what they can and cannot do, but that withstanding- at the very least in order for @Wookie's police to be something approaching fair and reasonable, the reason for the breathing off the pony needs to be determined. A diver is done diving for the day even if it's because another diver suffered an OOA emergency and he donated his primary and breathed off the pony to get them both safely to to the surface, or a hose blew on the main tank thus emptying it in 30 seconds or was diving a wall and got caught in an unexpected downcurrent that dragged him down to 200' and he needed to make a slow ascent with stops or because a large menancing shark was circling under the boat and the diver wanted to give it the opportunity to swim away before surfacing so they extended their dive?

So to sum it up;
1. If you carry more gas than you need, you’re going to die

2. If you don’t carry enough gas, you’ll die.

3. You are not allowed to die on Max’ boat

4. If you use an air 2 you’re going to die.

I think the only unanswered question is; “is a 40cf bottle to big for a pony”

I’ve never dived with a pony so I don’t know much air one needs but I should thing they could pack doubles easily enough.

Back
Top Bottom