400m swim for DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

String:
My view still stands, the UK is not suitable for wetsuit diving full stop. Ive seen incidents a direct result of the cold and certainly have no wish to expose myself to those.

Trainees from day 1 here are put in drysuits for a reason.

I fail to see how cold bordering on hypothermic leads to an enjoyable experience.

Its certainly not safe to put people in with no suit for a swim test (which is the topic here)

This is bollox String. You wear the amount of exposure protection you personally need. If some people can happily get away with wearing 5mm wet suits during the summer, i see no problems with this. I have problems with thicker wet suits fro a few reason though
1. buoyancy characteristics.
2. if you need over 5mm, you should be using a dry suit.

Question:

Wetsuit is also considered as a floatation aid?

hoosier:
Question:

yup, you need to wear lead sufficient to offset bouyancy of exposure protection.

hoosier:
Question:

I think so. I'm not actually sure if you're allowed to wear a wetsuit for the swimming test but if you wear one for a snorkelling test you'll be made to put weights on so you're neutral. In terms of the swimming test it will probably only slow you down. Swimming in a drysuit is totally hopeless.

R..

I have seen that some DMs were wearing a 3mm or 5mm shorty during the test.

And, I thought it would help their test record...:confused:

gangrel441:
I take it this isn't the GUE standard, though... :D

Yeah, probably isn't but don't know for sure. I do know that IANTD is an excellent agency with very high standards. Just my 2 psi. :D

Some people on here are quick to condemn, I only ask if anyone had techniques they used to do the swim, I never once said I could not swim the distance just perhaps not in that time, I dont pretend to be an atheletic.

Also just because you take a DM qualification does not mean you want to teach others, I am doing it just for me not to teach or be paid, but to make me a better diver, think before you condemn.

For the other divers out there thanks for the responses

verybaddiver:
This is bollox String. You wear the amount of exposure protection you personally need. If some people can happily get away with wearing 5mm wet suits during the summer, i see no problems with this. I have problems with thicker wet suits fro a few reason though
1. buoyancy characteristics.
2. if you need over 5mm, you should be using a dry suit.

If you want more fatalities then by all means use a 5mm suit. No different to the hordes of student at inland sights currently in 7mm suits physically shaking so much they cant work inflators or clips properly. As the coroner stated, people have died and will continue to die.

If the water is cold enough to need a 2 layer 7mm semi dry its too cold to be diving wet.

Some people might not see it in the same way, but I can see why someone would take DM just for the knowledge, and for the challenge. I think if I were to do the program, I would do the crawl stroke.

I have been working on my crawl stroke, and see that alternate side breathing, or skipped breathing increase my speed quite a bit. You have less drag when your face is straight down. When you breath, your body is tilted, and drag is increased tremendously. There are a few videos on youtube of competitive swimmers. All breath only once every 3 to 5 strokes.

Recently I have switched to nose breathing, and it has been more natural and relaxing for me. I can exhale more deeply and naturally through my nose. If I were to take the test, I probably would alternate the crawl with the back stroke - as you use different muscles with each stroke.

Diver0001:
I think so. I'm not actually sure if you're allowed to wear a wetsuit for the swimming test but if you wear one for a snorkelling test you'll be made to put weights on so you're neutral. In terms of the swimming test it will probably only slow you down. Swimming in a drysuit is totally hopeless.

R..

Most i can think of require weights to offset the flotation effect. EN standards also mention this so if you wear a suit you need to wear enough weight to keep neutral. Which obviously then involves trying to swim with extra lead around you.
A drysuit id say its physically impossible to swim in the traditional sense without fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom