40%

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

down4fun:
Thanks to all of you who replied, and explained things better than I ever could have. You made some good points. As far as why he wants to do this i can only guess. It would seem he is trying to hurt himself and me in the process. I know that he did read this thread and after more discussion gave me his word that he wouldn't do this dive. So I owe all of you a big thank you!

After reading your post and giving this some more thought I went back to some older issues of AquaCorps magazine and some notes I had from a clinical sociologist who did a fair amount of work in the early 90s on tech divers etc.

Is it possible that your friend is suffering from bi-polar manic depression?

It seems to me that if he is he may have feelings of despair that give him reasons to "check out" but the mania provides him the feelings of invincibility that allow him to think the "rules don't apply" to him.

check it out and see if this may apply to him

regards,

down4fun:
Thanks to all of you who replied, and explained things better than I ever could have. You made some good points. As far as why he wants to do this i can only guess. It would seem he is trying to hurt himself and me in the process. I know that he did read this thread and after more discussion gave me his word that he wouldn't do this dive. So I owe all of you a big thank you!

I wonder if he ever really intended on doing the dive. It seems unlikely that someone who has taken and passed a nitrox class would do that knowing the dangers of oxtox. I'd more quickly believe he said he was going to do it (when he really wasn't) and then enjoyed all the attention when you got concerned.

Maybe I'm wrong... have been before.

here's AGs oxtox-rescue story. the victim was at a ppO2 of 2.3, 19 mins into a dive. pretty much if this guy hadn't been diving with AG or a relative handful of other divers he'd be dead now, and is pretty lucky anyway:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/divingaccidents/message/85

lamont:
here's AGs oxtox-rescue story. the victim was at a ppO2 of 2.3, 19 mins into a dive. pretty much if this guy hadn't been diving with AG or a relative handful of other divers he'd be dead now, and is pretty lucky anyway:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/divingaccidents/message/85

That story is pretty amazing. I'll never forget AG telling us that in class.

Another oxtox that comes to mind is that guy off the Monitor (I think), that grabbed the wrong deco bottle at 70' and was 100% for several minutes before he took a hit. He lived too. But most people, espically if you are diving with people that do not know how to save a toxing diver.

down4fun:
Need some guidance here.
What do you tell a friend who insists on diving solo to 130' at 40% nitrox?

Can remind him of the class he took. PPO2 is a biggie. It is the always the same story. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

CBalloch:
Can remind him of the class he took. PPO2 is a biggie. It is the always the same story. You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

This is a dead discussion. The individual according to Down is well aware of his faults for even thinking such a foolish thought. I have talked to him and he is not going to be doing this type of dive.

Something's real fishy with this topic. Might as well read that he want to take a rat poison coctail. I think someones playing the sympathy vote.

I agree, someone with training really wont do such a thing . If he wants to commit suicide the easy way will be to turn on your car in a close garage.at least he will go gently and not have any convultions before he dies.

I think this is just an attention grabber.

down4fun:

I hope you spanked him really hard!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom