40 Fathom Grotto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adm3745 - I was the individual who dropped that reel. I think you really need to evaluate your statements and make sure your comments are factual before posting on this board. You wonder about climbing up those steps at your young age with good legs where mine hurt every step from injuries serving in the US ARMY 101st Airborne during the Vietnam Era so that you are free to make your comments. Also, I think maybe you should look at changing you avatar back to your rented single 80 AL Back Gas. The Team Leader reported to the Dive Shop Master where he might find the real so it could be returned to the owner, not for you to let everyone else know where they might find it. BTW, when we returned to the shop, I bought the owner a brand new reel exactly like the one I dropped on purpose when the line tangled in my fins. We can discuss the proper procedures for hours on how I might have better handled the situation, but I made what I felt was the safe decision as I lost focus of my buoyancy control and was nearly ready to drop to the bottom, so I made the choice to live and drop the real and swim back up to the sixty foot platform. I'm alive and safe as I returned to the safety of the 60ft platform. No matter what you think, my problem was losing focus of my buoyancy, not the way I handled the reel. I learned a very valuable lesson about keeping focus and maintaining proper buoyancy control on that dive. The next two weeks I went to Alexander Springs several times to work out or on my buoyancy control.

40 fathom grotto, once called Zuber Zink is a very dangerous dive and things happen quickly. IMHO, I did what was safe for me and didn't endanger any of the divers on the team.

adm3745, the reason you couldn't find the real is because you were waiting on the 60ft platform for your turn to make the line run. As I recall, the Team Leader who was diving twinset as his Back Gas followed the line down until he could no longer safely dive deeper, cut the line so as not to create a hazard and upon his return to the 60 platform you were glad to reach out and take the line. Please don't make yourself out on this board to be something or a diver you are not. I'd like to discuss your comments further but I will save them until we meet in the shop again.

As far as the Duck Weed Question, I dove this site with Hal Watts in the sixties as a support diver, staging bottles at 50 ft and looking for Milk Jugs coming to the surface should the Dive Team have trouble and want me and the other support diver to descend with the four bottles I had with me at 50ft. Otherwise I was at 50 feet with their stage or Deco bottles at that time as we dove air.

The DUCK WEED was gross and really a head trip to descend down through it but when you broke through it at generally 30 feet, it was an awesome sight, the bright motorcycle batteries and headlights we used at the time lit up almost all the cavern, the visibility was as close to unlimited as I had ever seen. I never lost site of the light the four divers had that made the deep dive. I'm not a Marine Biologist, but having dove the old Zuber Sink with the Duck Weed more than 20 times before the ARMY called, I would guess that that removing it and as little flow that is in the sink, the Duck Weed removed the nitrates, thus filtering the water, that in a way like an aquarium, kept the water pristine. Also, you have stagnant water, now hit by Sun Light, water run off, encourages the growth of algae, hence the green tint of the water. I talked to a diver who dove it last weekend and the visibility was less than 10 ft and sometimes he said no better than 5 feet. He said one of his newer divers Narc'd on the 60ft platform and he terminated the dive. The reported water temp was 67-68.

Hey man,

I'm sorry you took offense to my post, I really didn't mean for it to come across that way. There was alot of task loading on that dive and you really didn't do anything wrong. The only other option of solving what had happened with the reel was to freeze and wait for anthony to come undo whatever was caught. It's not a biggie. I told the board where the reel was. In my short experience, divers are good people and if they find lost gear, they will bring it to whoever runs the property. The people who run 40 fathom are not going to to spend money and time to retrieve a $40 reel so I figured the more eyes who know where it is, the better.

I was waiting on the 60 ft platform until I saw the line dropping and then loosing its tension. I then began descending with the team leader until I realized I didn't have enough gas for another drop to ~130 ft. I signaled for him to descend and that I didn't have the gas, and I kept as best an eye on him as I could while waiting at ~80 ft. HE came back up empty handed, I started pulling line from one end, while he and Anthony from the other. After pulling all the line up we could, I cut the line with my shears and the team leader stowed the line. He gave it to me after the dive and I returned it to Anthony the next time I Was at the shop.

The only time I ever dove an Aluminum 80 was in my OW class and my first 2 dives after that.

Again, sorry you took offense. I really enjoy diving with you and it was a minor issue. Theres no need to make it bigger than tat.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom