4 days pure diving - Is Ambergris Caye the best choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah. Geographically speaking, Xcalak is an extension of Belize. It's also remote from the more common tourist destinations--you really need a car to get there--so it's not what people think of when they think of diving in Mexico. Of course, it IS part of Mexico, so lthomas132 wins the point.

What is good is not always easy!

What is good is not always easy!

Is Xcalak actually BETTER than Belize in your opinion? My thinking is that although I have read some good reports about Xcalak, more or less the same topography can be dived by basing oneself in San Pedro, which is all set up with the infrastructure to make it easy.

Is Xcalak actually BETTER than Belize in your opinion? My thinking is that although I have read some good reports about Xcalak, more or less the same topography can be dived by basing oneself in San Pedro, which is all set up with the infrastructure to make it easy.

Xcalak is not easy. Totally off the grid, BUT if you like seeing all the stars with no noise except for the breeze through the palms, no cars, few people & pristine diving, it's the place. It's what the other places used to be in the 70's. If more civilized is what you want, Mahahual, just to the north is great. I just spent a week in Xcalak & 10 days in Mahahual. Shorter boat ride to Banco Chinchorro too. If you like lots of people, lots of traffic, San Pedro is the place.

That does sound nice. In fact--and to get sorta back on topic--I preferred Caulker over Ambergris precisely because Caulker is quieter.

Yes, I prefer Caye Caulker over Ambergris. Did both last year. Hands down.

diving is better from AC which is why it is busier, CC is quieter.

Yeah. Geographically speaking, Xcalak is an extension of Belize. It's also remote from the more common tourist destinations--you really need a car to get there--so it's not what people think of when they think of diving in Mexico. Of course, it IS part of Mexico, so lthomas132 wins the point.

I went there years ago by boat from San Pedro. Had to cross the Reef at Rocky point as I recall and then back inside the rest of the way. Went to immigration in SP.
just went for lunch and a few beers basically with a couple of guys when we were building that shrimp hatchery 12 miles north of town

Did one dive at Xcalak with a Mexican buddy. Very strong currents and a wild ride out to sea. A lot of fun but the group was scattered all over the place. The dive master (not my buddy) did a poor briefing and had no control over the divers. For the last third of the dive, I could only see my new dive buddy (not the Mexican) who happened to be lost in the same general area as I was. Dive Master said the current was much stronger than usual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom