4 days pure diving - Is Ambergris Caye the best choice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Turneffe Island Resort does transfers on Wednesdays and Fridays, so a 3 or 4 night stay is possible. Not remotely going to fit in a 100/nt budget though, even considering it's AI. I think Blackbird Caye and Turneffe Flats have a similar schedule and are less but still going to be more than Huracan, especially since everything is based on double occupancy. It seems I have heard of some less expensive places on other atolls and islands but can't recall. Maybe Hugh Parkeys on Spanish Caye?

BH is heavily marketed with those classic aerial photos, so it's something many people need to do and get out of their systems. Some people think it's really cool and would maybe go back, others don't think it's worth doing once let alone repeating. (I did it once from a liveaboard, skipped it once from a liveaboard in favor of a hammock, even though it was right there under me and I didn't need to travel. And my 3rd liveaboard trip there the whole boat voted against it, if that tells you anything.) Going on a 3 tank trip from Ambergris that does the BH is nice because you get to do other dives out at Lighthouse. Whether it is worth the cost and long day to dive there over the local diving at Ambergris, I haven't dove AC so have no opinion. If you could find a 3 tank trip that did 3 dives out there but skipped the BH that would be nice, but I'm not sure anyone does that.

This is interesting.

The main reason for my trip to Belize was the BH as bucket list dive. After reading a lot of feedback I am less excited about this now but still want to go and see it for myself. Ideally combined with two other dives at some of the better sites near by. Thanks for the feedback!

This is all great information - thank you!

Turneffe seems to be one of the diving highlights but too expensive for this trip.

How would Caye Caulker compare to Ambergris in terms of local diving and as an attempt to avoid the extremes of touristy hotspots?

We went to Caye Caulker October of last year. Great little laid back island, really no beaches. You do most of the diving off Ambergris Caye but are somewhat closer to Turneffe but still ~1 1/2 hrs. away. Simeon with Black Durgon will take you there in his great boat (Black Durgon Dives) Don't miss diving there though!

Last edited:
This is interesting.

The main reason for my trip to Belize was the BH as bucket list dive. After reading a lot of feedback I am less excited about this now but still want to go and see it for myself. Ideally combined with two other dives at some of the better sites near by. Thanks for the feedback!

The only good reason to dive the Blue Hole is that the other two dives are at great locations. Half Moon, and I forget the name of the other one...Aquarium?
You will be SOOOO disappointed in the Blue Hole..its name says it all. The wall of my local quarry is more interesting

This is interesting.

The best way to do the blue hole is from a LOB due to the transit time of the day boats. I suggest you read some of the BH threads on here and make a note of the travel times. in a small boat on a rough rainy day it can be very miserable.
for many many hours.

I agree with damselfish and olphart, the best way to experience the BH is via google images. The dive is very very short and is done as a group dive.

your afternoon dives will be done on either half moon or long caye. both have about 4 or 5 dive sites. these are all great sites. the actual sites you use will depend upon where the LOBs are currently moored as they maintain the mooring balls and get first choice of dive sites.

This is interesting.

Years ago, when I was contemplating a dive to the famed Blue Hole of Belize, an experienced, globetrotting diver said to me something like this:

"It doesn't measure up to the hype and isn't worth the time out of your trip when there is so much other good diving in Belize. But you will dive it anyway. And when you return from the trip, you will tell other divers that it doesn't measure up to the hype and isn't worth the time out of their trip when there is so much other good diving in Belize. But they will dive it anyway."

Back the OP's original question - Personally I do not consider Ambergris Caye to be a dive location but consider it to be a vacation destination that has diving.

If you want to do 4/5 dives a day I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Your best bang for your dollar will be Cozumel.

I’ll give you my quick .02 cents for Ambergris:

1. Use Reef Adventures as your op – Ched Cebral will make sure you enjoy it, small boats, small groups

2. Do not book blue hole in advance. There are only 1 or 2 operators that go to BH. Onloine rates are $260+ and in person, they’ll lower it to fill the boat.

3. Lots of awesome restaurants on Ambergris, I would not stay AI like at Ramones for this reason alone.

Years ago, when I was contemplating a dive to the famed Blue Hole of Belize, an experienced, globetrotting diver said to me something like this:

"It doesn't measure up to the hype and isn't worth the time out of your trip when there is so much other good diving in Belize. But you will dive it anyway. And when you return from the trip, you will tell other divers that it doesn't measure up to the hype and isn't worth the time out of their trip when there is so much other good diving in Belize. But they will dive it anyway."

That statement is probably exactly true... At least for me and many others. Funny :)

I’ll give you my quick .02 cents for Ambergris:

1. Use Reef Adventures as your op – Ched Cebral will make sure you enjoy it, small boats, small groups

2. Do not book blue hole in advance. There are only 1 or 2 operators that go to BH. Onloine rates are $260+ and in person, they’ll lower it to fill the boat.

3. Lots of awesome restaurants on Ambergris, I would not stay AI like at Ramones for this reason alone.

Great info!

Thank you very much - specially on the BH advance booking tip.

Back the OP's original question - Personally I do not consider Ambergris Caye to be a dive location but consider it to be a vacation destination that has diving.

If you want to do 4/5 dives a day I would suggest looking elsewhere.

Your best bang for your dollar will be Cozumel.

After reading a lot I probably agree that AC is not the dive spot I thought it might be.

I had a United Airlines voucher to burn as expiring otherwise and decided upfront to checkmark BH from my bucket list using that voucher .

I dove Cozumel and loved it but want to dive new sites l.

I hope that AC together with a BH 3 dive trip will still make for great dives.

After all... There isn't a bad dive anyway :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom