4 3 2 bank question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

211ratsbud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Can someone point out the best way to optimize filling from k sized bottle in set of 4 3 2?

I believed forever start with the larger volume bank and cascade in the direction of least volume.

However. With 30 80cu foot tanks to fill..

I realized that if I start with the 2, and cascade in that direction 2>4 I can use the compressor to fill the 2 bottle bank while the 3 and 4 are doing the work, yielding me a pattern of continuous work going: 2 3 4 2. Versus 4 3 2 ( and having relative high pressure in 3 and 2 which is 2 less than 4 and 3)

I'm using a BAM07 so the 2 cylinder can top off quickly making it of use again.

Since to time and compare this takes way to damn long. Is there a sound theory on this?

Banks are at 4750+

ok that post was a little scatterbrained in the middle so if I misunderstood something, please correct me.

So you're basically asking which to set as a low/med/high pressure bank. The more sets of banks you have the better the filling process will be and it is not uncommon for the compressor to be filling the bank that is open while that bank is filling the tanks. This keeps the pressure loss in that bank to a minimum and greatly simplifies the manifold block. I think this might be where you are struggling trying to keep the other banks at as high of a pressure as possible instead of keeping the big bank filling while you are using it.

What I would do in this situation is to divide the 4 bank into 2x2 and have 2-2-2-3. Assuming everything starts full in the banks, start with the 3, with the compressor off, and start filling until they equalize. Depending on how empty the 80's are, you should be able to get a couple sets of 80's out of that before you have to open the second bank. Proceed down the line. The compressor should be connected to the bank set that is being used, and then when you are ready to change the whips over, it should move to the highest pressure bank that is somewhat depleted.

I.e. you have bank 1 at 4500, 2 at 4500, 3 at 4200, and 4 at 2800. You are filling based off of bank 4 and the compressor is connected to that bank until they equalize, shut bank 4 off and open up bank 3 to get the 80's topped off. Compressor will stay on bank 3 while you are switching tanks over, then you switch back to bank 4. Bank 4 is filling the tanks but it is also getting filled by the compressor at the same time to minimize pressure loss.

This imho is the simplest way to set up the manifold blocks because it really only requires one block. One line in from compressor, one line with a knob out to each bank, and one line out to the regulator then out to the whips, and one HP gauge for the system. Very simple and easy to use and will maximize your usage

Ok so more smaller banks are ideal.

Currently I won't be changing our 4 3 2 set up. But I will stay in that order.

Our nitrox banks I will try and be more efficient at.

More banks is always better. Ideally (although not very practical), you would run 1 cylinder per bank. This shows it out to 6 single bottle banks. There is one running around the internet that shows 10, but this one gives you the picture.

Cascade Storage Systems

Gotcha, I see where that makes sense as you're always able to use a greater percentage of each.

If you are sticking with the same configuration, then I think you are on track with the 2-3-4 order but that is just my personal preference.

Back
Top Bottom