4/13 Maui pics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Scribbled Filefish
F5.0, 1/60, Manual White Balance, No Strobe
1.jpg

Yellowtail Coris Wrasse (juvenile)
F6.3, 1/125, External Strobe
2.jpg

Question about white balance....you manual white balance because you shoot jpeg's....correct?....if you shoot raw, can you acheive the same results by white balancing in RAW?

BTW...nice images as always!

Karl

Very nice, Jim! The light angle on the filefish gives it some really nice contours. How was the dive?

Jet

Great pics!

kdietz:
Question about white balance....you manual white balance because you shoot jpeg's....correct?....if you shoot raw, can you acheive the same results by white balancing in RAW?

If you have the correct software that allows you to adjust RAW images, then you can adjust the manual white balancing at home(one less thing to worry about while UW). Alot of cameras will allow you to adjust WB while the pics are still on the camera as well. That can get a bit tedious though...

G,

Nice work as always. I can feel the fins on the Scibbled Filefish.

Thanks for sharing.

Dive Smart; Dive Safe
Enjoy the ride
:14:

kdietz:

BTW...nice images as always!

Karl

Yes, I shoot in the JPEG mode. The C4000 does not have RAW. As stated above shooting in the RAW mode allows post processing in PS pr the like. I also post process my shots even though I calibrate the White Balance on the camera.

Jetwrench:
Very nice, Jim! The light angle on the filefish gives it some really nice contours. How was the dive?

Jet

The dive was okay. I also saw a small Eagle Ray. I have an invite on a dive boat for April 26 to Molokini, which is the date of a coral spawn. That should be interesting.

Great white balance shot on the filefish!! I hope you get to see the coral spawn. Send us some shots of that if you can. We have now tried three times to catch the spawn here in Timor, with no luck yet :(

Hooked4Life:
Speaking of white balance, do most people set the white balance underwater or do most keep it on auto?

I believe most people keep their cameras on Auto White Balance. This is correct when using a strobe (internal or external) but will yield "blue" photos on non-strobe shots. You can use a process in Photoshop (the "mandrake process" ) that will correct the blue photos. I have an explanation of it on my PT-010 site here.

I calibrate my White Balance off a white piece of plastic at depth then adjust my photos in Photoshop as shown here.

I think you get better results using the Manual White Balance than with the "Mandrake Process" on Auto White Balance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom