3x CLIPPER DIVES SAT 16 AUG $200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paul19may

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
American Diving just called me to say that they have places available on the 16th for a 3 dive trip to the Clipper. Cost is $200 for the dives (fuel surcharge applies, I understand).

Vis has been 50' I was informed, and will check in with them this weekend re what is is like after the trop storm has been through.

ADDED DISCLAIMER- I have also been informed that vis on the Clipper has been significantly LESS than 50' on many ocassions and may infact be shockingly bad on this trip, so do factor that in. Also I was informed by Am Diving that vis has been BOTH impressive AND poor on the very same trip, changing between dives. DO NOT expect spectacular visibility on this particular trip, it may not occur and, as we say in my profession, "past performance is no indication of future results"- do bear that in mind also. I trust that helps to balance the position.

The plan is, travel down Friday 15 Aug (carpool), accommodation is $99 (screaming deal considering its peak season, hotels were destroyed and construction workers are flocking there after the hurricane).

I need to book accommodation soonest (the next couple of days- by Thursday 7) so please get with me so I can do so.

If there is any interest from this great crowd, please drop me a PM rather than clutter this board with questions/ for more details.

See you there, if you are coming.
All the best.

P

Last edited:
I know a guy that just came back from diving the Clipper. He told me that it was horrible. No viz at all, amybe two ft, in places somewhat better. The water was cold, so take a hood or a hooded vest. Hopefully by the time you go it my be better. I would call the LDS and talk to the DM that went this last weekend on Saturday and ask him what his opinion of the dive was. Just info before you spend the money to go. Also, I heard that Parks and Wildlife is going to spend the money to turn her on her keel. Good luck!

C

I just dove the Clipper and last Saturday 8-02-08 the vis was under 10ft on the ship. There was blue water down to about 60 and from there down there was a thermocline and heavy layer of silt. It may have cleared up in the last couple days but that was the conditions we dove. I know they went out again Sunday so you can call the shop and ask the guys what the conditions were the next day. As for hotels they were GOUGING, get all you can from the disaster crews I guess. Tim has talked to some condo owners and may still be able to get yall a lot better deal. I am sure some prices will come back to normal as soon as the Island comes back to life.
As for putting her on her keel Tim told us it was for sure going to happen but did know a date.

Here is last weekends report http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/texas-swamp-divers/245640-who-up-adventure.html

Well, I guess if you're going divin' right after a hurricane, even a relatively mild one like Dolly, then you can't expect prime conditions. I think things will settle down back to normal before the dive Paul is talking about, but with my luck diving the Clipper this year who knows? :D

My suggestion, for anyone who might be interested in going, is to watch the Captain's Log. If Tim told Paul the viz is 50' now then I imagine that's what it is. Why would anyone question that? :no

Apparently, we have $99/night accommodations lined up at a pretty decent hotel. That's a darn good rate for SPI this time of year. When I was down there in June we paid a lot more than that for about the same quality of room.

I'll question it because I know the person and character of one in our club who was just there last weekend on Aug 2. The viz was reported as 5ft or less, so bad the three tank trip ended up being one on the Clipper and two on rigs. The last report on the Captain's Log is July 19.

I'll question it because I know the person and character of one in our club who was just there last weekend on Aug 2. The viz was reported as 5ft or less, so bad the three tank trip ended up being one on the Clipper and two on rigs. The last report on the Captain's Log is July 19.

Don't you dive the Gulf? It seems like you would since you live in Houston. If you do, you would know the conditions change quickly. You'd also know that the best time to dive the Gulf is this time of year...at least when there hasn't been a major storm.

Just because conditions weren't optimum this weekend doesn't mean they haven't improved. The last time I was in SPI vis was horrible. By the very next day it had improved dramatically. I'm not doubting the folks who reported vis was bad this weekend. If they say so then I believe them. I have no reason not too...just like you don't have a reason to doubt the OP. What makes it OK to take one person's word, but not another?

Of course the last report was on the 19th of July. That was right before Dolly hit. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure last weekend was the first trip since the hurricane. I'm saying watch the Captain's Log for reports. Tim and his bunch haven't been successful for all these years because they "trick" folks into going out on bad diving days.

Visibility is a fickle mistress. Be the visibility 5' or 50' I will be going anyway and was informed that there are places available on the trip- I was passing that along for those interested.

No good deed goes unpunished and all that.

Okay, everyone please calm down. I had this information given to me, I was not on the trip. But, It was my understanding that the viz was horrible in places. The Thermoclines were mid range along with a great temperature change. That being said, it only goes to prove what K-Valve was trying to say. The gulf condtions can change very quickly, like our Texas weather. But, Dolly followed the Texas/mexico border for the most part and dumped lots of water in the Rio Grande. The upper Texas coast, near Corpus has only three to four exits for water exchange. When fresh water hit the salt water it gets nasty. This will probaly not clear up for a while. Then again its The Gulf of Mexico. Conditions might improve tomorrow. Good luck.

C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom