3mm suit or Neoprene skin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sangria

Registered
Reaction score
:fishy: I will be traveling to Providenciales in June where the water is warm and a 7mm suit is way to much protection for the 82-84 water temp. I want the benefits of full suit protection but would also like to utilize the best option for my dollar. Since I tend to get chilly, I was thinking that a neoprene skin would be beneficial as I could also wear it underneath a 7mm suit here in NJ... will I be warm enough?? Or should I go for a the 3mm wetsuit and forget the skin all together? Any feedback and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dawn :tree:

When I did OW and AOW I was a blue water tourist diver and I just used swim trunks with no problems in the temps you mention. I've since bought all my gear and I use a .5mil henderson microprene. It protects me from sun and abrasion and actually does have a small amount of warmth to it. One word of advice, go really small on these... they are quiet strechy compared to a thicker suit.

I also have a 2pic 3mil along with 7mil hood boots and gloves. The 3mil doesn't fit me quiet right in the arm pits and I add the .5mil underneath to help stop some of that water flow. That said I've been known to do single dives for 30 minutes in 50f water with this setup. But frankly I'm more comfortable for hour runs with multiple dives in 62f water. 75f water and I'm diving all week no problems.

When the water gets in the 40s and 50s I rent a 2 pc 7mil and use it with my .5mil. Low 40s are cold 50s become quiet comfortable.

Hope that answers your questions.

a day are you shooting for? i tend to chill easily and in general i prefer a 3mm over a neoprene skin. the 0.5mm skin won't do much for you under your 7mm anyway. i bought a scubapro neoprene skin 2 years ago and only used it on one trip b/c it got too cold for me with 4 dives per day. if you still want it get a beanie with it just in case you start feeling cool. makes a significant difference in warmth.

Thanks for the feeback. I appreciate your words of wisdom. This weekend I am off to Dutch Springs, PA, I rented a 7mil farmer jane and jumper over top...actually went and looked at the .5mil to put underneath, but after much dilberation, decided against it...it is too thin to keep me warm in 80F water, w/ 3 dives a day and I am not really a big fan of cold water diving at this point in my dive career...so I think I'm going to go w/ the 3mil.:)

I've been trying to sort out the same thing. From asking around, it seems to be the common wisdom that a 0.5mm suit will keep you warm on an isolated dive or two in warm water but that for an extended dive vacation, people recommend a 3mm suit. I've also decided to get a 3mm, although without any direct experience. I did end up buying a 7mm 2pc suit, though, for local diving here in the lovely garden state. Everyone agreed on that one. Which dive shop certified you?

Michael

I have gotten the same feedback regarding the .5mm. Initially I thought I would wear it under the 7mm, 2pc...(ok I get cold) but then thought that is a lot of neoprene and I would feel like the Michelin man not to mention the weight I would need and how uncomfortable I would be. At this time I don't feel ready for northeast ocean dives. This weekend is my open water cert dives up at Dutch springs, so outside of a resort course and a few dives in the Caribbean, and my training w/ Elite Divers (are you familiar w/ them?), I new to diving.

I have been pondering the same thing. I am going to the Carribbean in August and want to wear something more than just my swimsuit. Still undecided.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom