3mm or 1mm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dandan

Reaction score
Hello,

I will be doing all my diving in tropical waters.

So I am wondering shd I get a 3mm or 1 mm full wetsuit or maybe just 0.5mm.

What difference will it make?
And any advice on a good decent wetsuit?

Thanks in advance :)

It depends heaviliy on how "cold' you are.

This varies by individual, I know people who get cold in 5mm wet suits even in tropical waters.

Take following into consideration:

. How easy do you feel cold (maybe you know from previous dive experiences)
. How many dives are you going to per day - the second and third dive will already feel different!
. Where is the diving? How warm is the water actually? Do you need to expect thermoclines (Yes, there are thermoclines in warm waters - try Florida)
. Weight - The thinner the suit the less weight you will need. You'll have less trouble controlling you bouyancy and you will have more fun.
. Do you want full body protection - e.g. shorty could also do the job.
. Do you need additional protection (e.g. from sharp objects in wrecks)?

I personally own a Scubapro 0.5mm wetsuit. Does an excellent job for me in tropical waters. I never got cold and have full body protection, even on wrecks. I love diving this suit with BP/Wings. Total freedom - it's like flying!

Just some food for your thoughts ...

Ray

Thanks for your advice.

I will be doing my diving in Malaysia waters. So do u think a 3mm full wetsuit will be a bit too much for the malaysia water temperature?

Thanks 10q

dandan once bubbled...
So do u think a 3mm full wetsuit will be a bit too much for the malaysia water temperature?

Where are you from? I dive in Singapore and around Malaysia. In my experience, people who are from this area or who have been living here for a while usually wear full-length 3mm suits. I am a wimp and wish I had bought a 5mm suit. People who come here on holiday from Europe or North America are used to being cold and seem to be able to get away with less.

Zept

Hi Zept,

I am from Malaysia.
So you think 3mm will be a better choice in the waters over here?

I really need help, coz I am going to buy wetsuit very soon. I don't wanna make a choice which I regret, u know.

I am looking at full wetsuit. Any brands u recommend?

10Q

:)

The fit of the suit matters as much as the thinkness. I have been warmer in a .5 mm skin that fit like a glove than I was in a 3 mm suit that allowed water to surge in at the neck, ankles and wrists.

I do 99% of my tropical diving (from 78 degrees on up) in a .5mm skin.

DanDan

What wonderful memories I once had a two week vacation on Layang Layang. Awesome diving.

Three dives a day, no problemo with a .5mm suit. But then again, I'm originally from Switzerland where diving is cold. Mhhmm ..

Hope this helps

Ray

I'm about 6'2" and 205lb - low body fat, so I get cold very easily. Whenever I dive in warm water, I wear a full-body 3/2 wet suit from SeaQuest - 3mm torso, 2mm arms and legs. It has kept me warm for entire two-tank dives in Florida during the fall, although I've occasionally put on a hood for night dives or three-tank dives. It also provides good protection against scrapes and such.

Remember, like raviepoo says, the fit of the suit is very important. That's why I bought my suit, even though I live in Indiana and dive in warm water much less than I'd like. I don't like to play roulette with rental gear, unless it's something that can't really get screwed up, like tanks and weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom