3D mount solution for Hero3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

valib

New
Reaction score
How about this 3D mount for Hero3 camera.
237_gopromount.jpg
found on stereomode.com

Look interesting, yet i wonder how it's supposed to be handled, especially underwater. The way it's designed now, it's not going to be available to be mounted to for an example The Tray by Snake River Prototyping. Handling the cameras like shown in the photo, looks pretty uncomfortable, since there really aren't any grip, which probably will result in unstable and unpleasant footage to view. Actually i never really got the deal of 3D videos for consumer preview. I mean it's nice in a cinema, but i doubt more people will click on a video on YouTube because it's 3D, probably just the opposite, but again that's my opinion.

It has two gopro tripod mount so I think it can be fixed on The Tray by Snake River Prototyping and also it has a strap mount in the back.

Interesting adaptation but I don't see the benefit of turning one upside down. It just screws with the metering. A frame that would hold 2 side-by-side in perfect alignment would be far more useful.

Interesting adaptation but I don't see the benefit of turning one upside down. It just screws with the metering. A frame that would hold 2 side-by-side in perfect alignment would be far more useful.

The lenses are really far apart if you don't put one upside down

Look interesting, yet i wonder how it's supposed to be handled, especially underwater. The way it's designed now, it's not going to be available to be mounted to for an example The Tray by Snake River Prototyping. Handling the cameras like shown in the photo, looks pretty uncomfortable, since there really aren't any grip, which probably will result in unstable and unpleasant footage to view. Actually i never really got the deal of 3D videos for consumer preview. I mean it's nice in a cinema, but i doubt more people will click on a video on YouTube because it's 3D, probably just the opposite, but again that's my opinion.

With my 3d tv, I look for diving videos in 3d first. I think its fantastic, and have noticed that night dives with good lights produce some of the best 3d.

Ill make sure to watch it when I get home tonight.
BTW I emailed the company that makes that mount and there don't have any available right now. But they should have more soon.
So once its out I will be picking it up.

How are you starting recording on both cameras btw. I don't have a remote for my go pros, so it would be hitting the buttons, then putting something in front of the cameras I could easily match up in editing.
Also I have a 3 white and a 3 silver. if I put them both at the same recording settings I think it should work OK. (My only concern is everything shows up a little darker with the white)

I did experiment with 3d and the blacks not underwater but both right way up and inverted. I found the 2 right way up to be fine and prefered the spacing keeping lenses closer to the same distance apart as human eyes. There is a minimum distance to object dependent on lens distance if both are fixed but getting closer together allows you to be a few centimeters closer while reducing depth effect of distant objects. Im not going to shoot macro with gopro 3d so the more natural spacing 64 to 70mm apart seemed best for general use to me. For this there is no need to invert a camera so I personlly wouodnt be using that up and down method by choice.

Here is one of my 3d tests with the blacks, I also tried a few on my quadcopter just havent taken the setup uw as yet.

Back
Top Bottom