$37 a year PLBs! Why do people keep vanishing without one...?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll speak slower. Did they establish a cause of death yet? If he slipped and knocked himself out, how would a PLB have helped? You also don't know whether he had a cell signal either. OTOH (thanks to your previous advice)I do carry a PLB when I hike. I just hate assumptions in accident reporting.
Ok, so I hope we cleared that up. Yeah, if you die - it's too late for a PLB to save you. My assumptions in his case were premature, true. There are plenty of better examples.

What do those cost over the life of the unit? Why don't you carry one?

MSRP from SPOT is $169. I don't think the price has changed since they came out about 5 - 6 (?) years ago. We have the original model.

You can buy them at lots of places here.

He currently pays $157 a year. The coverage is virtually worldwide.

Why would I carry one? I don't do anything were I would need one.

https://findmespot.ca/en/

MSRP from SPOT is $169. I don't think the price has changed since they came out about 5 - 6 (?) years ago. We have the original model.

You can buy them at lots of places here.

He currently pays $157 a year. The coverage is virtually worldwide.
$169 plus $157/year?! I'll pass. There are no fees with a PLB. Buy it, register it, carry it, use as needed once - but I have no current plans to need it. If I ever need to, well worth it.

Why would I carry one? I don't do anything were I would need one.
Famous last words.

Life is all about risk management. Risk mitigation is determined by one's level of risk tolerance and a hazard assessment. I have a higher risk tolerance than you.

Besides, Don, read what was said. I did not say I would not use the SPOT. I have not assessed a need for me to use it in a very long time.

I will leave instructions with my wife and son that if I ever die in a situation in which having a SPOT with me would have saved me, you are to be contacted and you can tell the world "I told you so".

Does your system only provide "emergency" functions, or does it also provide the live tracking, check in features, etc. world wide?

Life is all about risk management. Risk mitigation is determined by one's level of risk tolerance and a hazard assessment. I have a higher risk tolerance than you.

Besides, Don, read what was said. I did not say I would not use the SPOT. I have not assessed a need for me to use it in a very long time.

I will leave instructions with my wife and son that if I ever die in a situation in which having a SPOT with me would have saved me, you are to be contacted and you can tell the world "I told you so".
:laughing:

I suppose the numbers overall don't make this a national need exactly. It's just such a cheap solution to a real risk, but you gave me your answer to "why not," and it's fine.
Does your system only provide "emergency" functions, or does it also provide the live tracking, check in features, etc. world wide?
Nope, it's different. It's a one time 911 call from anywhere with location features, for less. Glad your son carries a somewhat similar beacon.

We like the "I'm okay, here is where I am" feature. Our work backgrounds are such that we are very use to "working alone" protocols. The check in at specific intervals is a part of that.

I suppose the ideal device would combine the capability of the Nautilus Lifeline and a PLB. I use a Lifeline and must admit it is handy to speak to the boat for non-emergency stuff — though communicating by VHF would be great in an emergency too. I carry a PLB when diving in remote areas of the world or in high current areas like the Gulf Stream. Range is a problem with VHF and it doesn't take long to get out of range in a screaming current.

I have a non-diving friend who has what he calls a "rational" fear of sharks (Like, he's afraid to fly from New York to London to because if the plane crashes into the ocean he might survive the crash... only to be eaten by a shark.) He has a letter from me giving him expressed, written permission to laugh out loud all the way through my funeral if I should ever die from a shark attack.

maxresdefault.jpg

SPOT (and InReach) are entirely different systems, transmit at substantially lower power, and operate on a commercial satellite network, with a commercial response center. They are less reliable in an emergency situation. They are convenient for the leash-type features, but they are in no way as reliable as a PLB for a true emergency situation.

But the bottom line, choose your device and have it with you.

ETA: A post I made on another site that is relevant to this discussion.

So, just to outline exactly what a PLB is and why is works.....

In 1982 the first Cospas satellite was launched. The same year it had its first "save." By 1985 the network of satellites was deemed operational.

A modern PLB operates on two different frequencies (406 MHz and 121.5 MHz). If you have an older one it won't operate in conjunction with a satellite anymore, only operating on 121.5 and 243. (You can read about it here.) The satellites no longer process these signals.

A modern PLB operates on the 406MHz digital frequency and 121.5 MHz analog frequency. It transmits to the Cospas-Sarsat constellation of satellites on 406 MHz at a nominal power of 5W. When a distress signal is activated it transmits the mayday call on this frequency to the satellite network, which then transmits a digital distress call including unique identifier and GPS coordinates to whatever local agency will come and get you. There are some intermediate steps, but those aren't really relevant in this primer.

At the same time, they also transmit the analog signal on 121.5 MHz at a nominal power of 50 mW +/-3dB. This frequency is the international "guard" frequency and any radio tuned to this frequency within 150 miles (give or take) will receive the distress signal. All aircraft have at least one radio operating on the guard frequency, and when a distress signal is received, SAR will also use this frequency to triangulate your position. Being an analog signal, it does not include unique identifier information or GPS coordinates.

These are an upfront purchase, registration is free with the NOAA or whatever agency's jurisdiction you will be operating under.

The NOAA webpage regarding Cospas-Sarsat, ELT's, EPIRB's, and PLB's is located here.

The Spot/DeLorme type satellite messengers are different. These communicators operate on the GlobalStar and Iridium satellite telephone networks. These are commercial, non-governmental satellite constellations.

These messengers, beacons, and two way devices typically transmit under 2W, and most manufacturers won't post actual transmission power specifications.

Upon activation, a signal is sent to through the satellite network to GOES, formerly the International Emergency Response Coordination Center. It is a commercial entity specializing in emergency response, be it satellite messenger tracking/response services, to medical evacuation. While they are a commercial entity, they follow the same model as the Cospas-Sarsat response, and will contact the same entities in response to a distress transmission.

They typically offer more features than a PLB, often including "I'm ok" messages, check-in's, tracking via GPS, and two-way messages. These are offered on a subscription-based model. Once the device is purchased, a subscription of some type is required to keep them operational. This varies by manufacturer and plan, but may be up to several hundreds of dollars a year for service.

The major differences are in feature set, and operating power, the most important of which is its ability to get the mayday message to the authorities, where true PLB's really shine.

Hope this helps people understand what the difference is between the two classes of device.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom