35mm to Digital Convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are welcome to your opinion, that is mine and I stay with it.

That's the beauty of this... we all do things somewhat differently and get good results. Its important for newbies to be exposed to different schools of thought and from that mixed with their own desires, develop their own style and decide which equipment suits them best.

The cameras produced today are not designed to last 30 years like the old Nikon and Canon 35mm equipment, they are designed to last until the next consumer cycle. Only the top end digital cameras and a few "tough" P&S have any weather sealing for their electronics. Get a dSLR wet and get some dirt in to it and then haul it to the top of a mountain, it will not last that long whereas a Nikon 35mm SLR could be darn near soaking wet and did not even need a battery to function.

30 years.... no, of course not. A 100% properly maintained mechanical just-about-anything should outlast any modern electronic marvel. I was not referring to how modern electronic cameras strand up to abuse versus old mechanical ones. I was talking about planned obsolescence and how camera makers want us all to upgrade every 5 minutes to gain minimal features and separate us from our hard-earned money. There is no reason why a well-cared for digital cannot physically last years..... as for whether the "next" camera is worth the price of the upgrade --- "Will it allow you to make images that were impossible before?" is the question.

Horrendous shutter lag is relative. The ELP2 is rather slow compared to my Nikon titanium FMII 35mm (which spent a night, lost, on a rock, on top of a mountain, in a rain storm in Glacier National and shrugged it off). In fact, it is DREADFULLY slow compared to a 35mm SLR or Leica range finder 35mm. The newest generation Oly M4:3 cameras just announced supposedly have high speed auto focus system, what exactly that means in real use I will wait until I get my hands on one. I suspect that it is a real improvement in responsiveness.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course an FMII has no shutter lag. Its manual-focus..... if you factor in the time it takes you to focus, things change.... Yes, you can pre-focus and eliminate "all that"..... I played with a PL1 in a store when I bought the PL2 -- the AF/shutter lag difference IS astounding..... The "3" should be even better... as you said, we'll see when we get our hands on one.

Since you keep bringing up physical toughness.... although its somewhat off-topic. My 7d has been hit "in the face" by ocean spray, dropped on concrete with mounted 70-200 2.8L lens, and had rocks kicked by a running horse break the front element of a 24-105L ---- it still works just fine. I agree that a lower-end model such as a Rebel would not have stood up to this.... but you DO NOT have to go all the way to the top-of-the-line to get weather sealing and a sturdy build.

Toughness of build as it relates to underwater shooting is a totally different question (watertightness aside) -- underwater cameras -- at least mine -- don't get banged around nearly as much as their land counterparts. Sure, some careless boat crewman can drop it on the deck, but that's a pretty rare event. In actual use, we don't go around bumping into stuff underwater with our cameras, dropping the thing is a non-issue, and I've never had a parrotfish spit a chunk of rock at my front port.

As to shot to shot with the S or G, again, since the gentleman is comparing to a film camera, my S90 is shot to shot faster than what I could have done with my Nikonos III with dual Oceanic strobes, by the time I cycled the film, allowed the strobes to charge and read my Sekonic meter and then adjusted exposure, I could have taken at least two shots with the S90, maybe three. Again, this is my opinion based on my experience with the cameras and I will stay with it. You are welcome to yours. Good luck, let me know in 10 or 15 years if you are still shooting that ELP2.

Again, you are comparing apples and oranges. We all agree that ANY digital should be faster than ANY all-manual film camera. Of course you can shoot more with an S-90 than you can with a Nik 3..... I was referring to the speed of one digital versus another.... shooting active critters, you WILL miss shots with the S90/95 (any P&S really) that you will likely get with a faster camera such as a PL2, 3, or better yet (but way out of the OP's price range) a housed dSLR.

Whether I will still be shooting my PL2 10 years from now depends on two things..... 1) Will anyone release anything that will allow me to make images that CANNOT be made with the PL2 (THE question).... IDK that the PL3 is that camera (doubt it)...... and 2) whether my future budget allows me to house one of my dSLRs. I already know that I can produce images with my 7D that would be difficult with a PL-anything.

Last edited:
The last couple of posts have been very informative........thank y'all for all of the input.

VAmtnguy:

When upgrading cameras, you need to ask yourself this ONE question (just this one): "Will the new camera allow me to produce images that are IMPOSSIBLE or VERY DIFFICULT with my current gear?" -- If the answer is yes, then the upgrade is worth considering. With your MMII --> digital, the answer is a resounding "Yes"....

With most new digital models that "obsolete" the digital one before it, however, the answer is almost always "HELL NO!" -- For example, an upgrade between the Olympus PL2 and 3 is NOT worth it. The PL3 will NOT allow me to do anything I currently cannot do with the 2. Of course, if I were buying now and did not already own a 2, I'd buy the 3 if the price is right.

Our current "pocket" camera is a FujiFlim FinePix A330 that I bought around 2004. Even though it only shoots 3.2 mega pixels, it has been a great little camera taking decent pictures. As y'all can see from this, I don't replace something for the latest, greatest thing......although we did buy a Canon Rebel to replace my 30 yr. old Minolta 35mm SLR. :wink: Regretfully, the FinePix fell out of my back pocket while sitting on the back of a "Booze Cruise" trolley in St. Kitts in 2009, and it dropped about 6' to the pavement. 1 corner was nicked, and I had to chase down the batteries that popped out, but that puppy has been working reasonable well until the last couple of months. The screen freezes up occasionally, and sometimes it just plain refuses to take pictures, so it is time. My intention is to combine replacing that camera with the latest greatest, and the new camera will also serve as my underwater camera.

As y'all may notice, I tend to stick with what is already paid for. :rofl3:

That's the beauty of this... we all do things somewhat differently and get good results. Its important for newbies to be exposed to different schools of thought and from that mixed with their own desires, develop their own style and decide which equipment suits them best.

30 years.... no, of course not. A 100% properly maintained mechanical just-about-anything should outlast any modern electronic marvel. I was not referring to how modern electronic cameras strand up to abuse versus old mechanical ones. I was talking about planned obsolescence and how camera makers want us all to upgrade every 5 minutes to gain minimal features and separate us from our hard-earned money. There is no reason why a well-cared for digital cannot physically last years..... as for whether the "next" camera is worth the price of the upgrade --- "Will it allow you to make images that were impossible before?" is the question.

You are comparing apples and oranges. Of course an FMII has no shutter lag. Its manual-focus..... if you factor in the time it takes you to focus, things change.... Yes, you can pre-focus and eliminate "all that"..... I played with a PL1 in a store when I bought the PL2 -- the AF/shutter lag difference IS astounding..... The "3" should be even better... as you said, we'll see when we get our hands on one.

Since you keep bringing up physical toughness.... although its somewhat off-topic. My 7d has been hit "in the face" by ocean spray, dropped on concrete with mounted 70-200 2.8L lens, and had rocks kicked by a running horse break the front element of a 24-105L ---- it still works just fine. I agree that a lower-end model such as a Rebel would not have stood up to this.... but you DO NOT have to go all the way to the top-of-the-line to get weather sealing and a sturdy build.

Toughness of build as it relates to underwater shooting is a totally different question (watertightness aside) -- underwater cameras -- at least mine -- don't get banged around nearly as much as their land counterparts. Sure, some careless boat crewman can drop it on the deck, but that's a pretty rare event. In actual use, we don't go around bumping into stuff underwater with our cameras, dropping the thing is a non-issue, and I've never had a parrotfish spit a chunk of rock at my front port.

Again, you are comparing apples and oranges. We all agree that ANY digital should be faster than ANY all-manual film camera. Of course you can shoot more with an S-90 than you can with a Nik 3..... I was referring to the speed of one digital versus another.... shooting active critters, you WILL miss shots with the S90/95 (any P&S really) that you will likely get with a faster camera such as a PL2, 3, or better yet (but way out of the OP's price range) a housed dSLR.

Whether I will still be shooting my PL2 10 years from now depends on two things..... 1) Will anyone release anything that will allow me to make images that CANNOT be made with the PL2 (THE question).... IDK that the PL3 is that camera (doubt it)...... and 2) whether my future budget allows me to house one of my dSLRs. I already know that I can produce images with my 7D that would be difficult with a PL-anything.

You have some good points, no point in starting a war, :wink:. I love the different thoughts, thanks you for providing your experience and useful information.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom