35F wetsuits. Reality or still fiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MasterGoa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

For warious reasons outside the scope of this post,
I wish to dive wrecks in the Greate Lakes under numerous thermoclines
without a drysuit.

I was wondering if anyone here has a solution for wetsuit diving
near freezing water for 1 hour at a time. No more, but no less.

Uptill now, I have found these two solutions:

Waterproof.se Semi-Dry 7MM suit.

Pinnacle Extreme or Polar Merino lines wetsuits.

Any other ideas out there?

Any tricks? I have heard of people
using thin Merino wool CrossCountry Skiing
isulations under their wetsuits for added warmth.

I have heard people waxing their zippers and stiches.
Stickes can be isulates with Granger type boot treatment.
Or so it seems.

So make this thread the Official freesing water wetsuit thread.

Thanks all for you input!

:D

You could try a thin suit (3mm or so) under a 7mm suit. If you put the boots, gloves, and hood on top of the thin suit and under the thick suit you'll get a real good seal and you should stay fairly warm.

I've used this setup (3mm Waterproof under a 7mm Body Glove) in 45-50 degree water for 1+ hours and been toasty warm the whole time. It is a bit restricting, though, and I was only in 20-50 feet of water. It's worth a shot, though.

You'd be pushing the envelope and then some. But there is hope.

See this:http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=155920
They really work and will give you an edge for most of the hour. Wearing 2 is not out of the question.

I've done some cold wet diving and arms and hands can be the weak link. Try to get a second layer of neoprene on the arms, like wearing a carribean shorty (long sleeve) under a 7mm suit that includes 14 mm on the core. I'm partial to the configuration of the BARE Arctic and the companion step-in hooded vest.

Prime the suit with very warm water before entering. Don't go too hot since this will make blood vessels do things that defeat the purpose.

Wear a beanie under your hood.

Have a very good egress plan. At best you will be heat and energy depleted at the end of the dive. Prolonged evaporative cooling could be dangerous.

Pete

Excellent!

Has anyone heard of the use of putting a base
layer under a wetsuit?

Seems some manufacturers are doing this
in contruction now...

Pierre

http://eliossub.com/

I think you best bet is to have a custom 7 or 9mm medium or high density neoprene "freedive" wetsuit made which has no zippers and an attached hood and a smooth skin interior. I would add a 3 mm vest. These types of wetsuits are the very warmest of any that I have ever seen.

MasterGoa:
Excellent!

Has anyone heard of the use of putting a base
layer under a wetsuit?

Seems some manufacturers are doing this
in contruction now...

Pierre

Depends what you mean by a base layer.

I would say not to wear any sort of dive skin. That's just going to be wet fabric that provides a path for water movement. Wearing a very thin additional layer underneath the suit like a 1-2 mm neoprene suit, even a shorty will be of some value and only require an extra pound or 2 of lead.

To get the 14mm on your core you will end up with two 7mm layers and that will help. Mainly by providing a labyrinth seal for your back zipper and neck opening assuming a hooded step-in vest and a fullsuit are worn. This sort of closure is a huge advantage. I wear such a suit and I NEVER feel a hit of cold water. If I contort roll or move oddly I feel something but it has already had to spend time between layers before finding my skin.

Layering will also help a little by acting as a thermal break. In this regard it is not nearly as effective as when we layer dry clothing topside. With dry clothing we trap air which is a great insulator. In wetsuits we trap water which is a great conductor. Nonetheless 2 layers of 7mm is a practical means of building up to 14.

Be warned that what you are contemplating is pushing the envelope. I tolerate cold water about as good as anyone I know. I've made wet dives in 40F and I was still fine when my buddy called the dive after 20 minutes. Going longer, deeper and colder will be a challenge. Work your way into this so you don't get yourself into trouble.

Pay attention to ancillary things as well. Eat well so your furnace has planty to burn. Drink warm decaf fluids pre-dive. Keep yourslf warm and cozy predive. Keep your suit warm so it's not a thermal drain from the get-go. Get dry and warm ASAP on exit and enjoy more warm fluids.

Pete

Why not just go dry? I suppose it could be a financial issue, but I really wouldn't touch anything under 50dF in a wetsuit. In the near freezing temps, make sure you use 3 finger mittens instead of gloves. It makes a huge difference.

Bobby

Goose or Duck Fat
Apply liberally all over your body especially head, neck, :mooner:, etc.

You should not even need the wet suit.

If a cross channel swimmer can stay in the water for over 10 hours with only a speedo and a coating of goose fat then a measly 1 hour should be no problems.

Please remember to stand down wind of all other divers while preparing and exiting the water.

:D :lol: :D :lol:

MasterGoa:
Hi all!

For warious reasons outside the scope of this post,
I wish to dive wrecks in the Greate Lakes under numerous thermoclines
without a drysuit.

So make this thread the Official freesing water wetsuit thread.

Thanks all for you input!

:D

I just got back from diving at Tobermory, Ontario in a 2 pc 7mm wetsuit. I went to 108 feet deep, with cold water there, and I did fine (twice, 45 minutes apart). I routinely dive wet in 40ish* water with multiple dives in a day. The biggest problem is not the water temp, it is the air temp for the surface interval. In nice weather, I can do multiple dives like that. On January 1st, I have been limited to 1 dive, but I recently got the solution to that. I now have two farmer johns, so I can do 2 dives, each with a dry John. I should be good for 2 dives on January 1st now!

Come on by the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew forum for more.

Ken

Hmmmm, a layer of goose fat underneath
my 5MM?

That sounds great... Great indeed!

Where can I apropieate myself some
high quality avian blubber?:eyebrow:

:coffee:

EDIT: Hey Ken! I will do that.

Thanx!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom