$350 range light - found FWT Schulz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maurice

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I am finally going to buy my own dive-light.. which is great, off-course, but I am still searching in what I should buy.

Requirements:
  • I am diving in murky water, here in Holland, this lamp should work here.
  • I am an avid photographer and used to have a Halogen 35W to help me with lighting the subject. My new lamp should work good when taking pics, so it should not be a spotlight nor should it have the cold blue led color. (Halogen lamps seem to work great... lots of red in those)
  • The budget is quite limited... as I have just dropped my camera and needed to replace it.:depressed:

I found FWT Schulz as most promising to me with either
going over budget with the GS80 or slightly underperforming in stamina department in the GS50 range using Halogen.

Does anyone have any experience with Schulz lamps?
which way should I go: less light with warm LED or Halogen with diffusor and short battery life?

TIA

Maurice

I would definetly go with HID, Preferably Halcyon - Light Monkey (Salvo) Both companies are excellent to deal with and should you have any issues with your light they will take care of you. Murky waters I would recomend going with a 21watt HID, But as your only looking to spend 350.00 I would seach the forums and try pick up a used 10watt HID. It will work well enough and they go around here for that price a lot.

Thanks a22shady,

I would also like to have a 20+W HID but pricetags make it impossible and secondhand I find a bit of a gamble.

I am looking for the cheaper alternative there... being Halogen or LED. I would really love the Tillytec or Greenforce modular stuff, but even that is quite expensive.

Cheers,

Maurice

I would't pass so quickly on use lights, Simply because they are used the last for quite a while especially ones taken care of which you can usually tell from pics and speaking to the seller's. And save quite a bit of money.

I would definetly go with HID, Preferably Halcyon - Light Monkey (Salvo)

Keep out from HID , they are good but you will have problems with spare parts in future . I made two lamps with HID parts from Brightstar ( they simply closed some programs of ballasts and bulbs ) W-A is bigger **** because they moved production to Mexico and they will probably closed some programs with 10W HID.

I have backups GS35 from FTW Schultz and I like them very much . One 240lm 9° and other 750lm 25°. Last will get my upgrade on SST50.

GS80 is not so demanding lamp , also not so powerfull . It is lamp for start daving and can be easy grow up.
Better to get some more money and get some

http://www.light-for-me.com/ in range 300-500€ best buy I think

Thanks Lucca,

The new divelamps are coming soon, Schulz say. 50° GS50 and 6300K. Might be good to wait for that...

I am hoping for a SST50 lamp or similar, but again the light is quite white/blue... not so good for photos.

You upgrade(d) your GS35 with a SST50, yourself?

cheers,

Maurice

Maurice,

if you are interested to a small powerfull new lamp with the SST-50, then you should have a look to our new YPSILON.
The YPSILON is upgradeable to a canister system and the price is euro 384,00.
I think you dont need more for many years.

Michael

You upgrade(d) your GS35 with a SST50, yourself?

Yes because it is so simply to disassembly it and parts are very quality. I made cooper insert instead of aluminium with gloved cree MCE (that makes cross on wall ) because of large die.
(SST 50 have much smaller die ) and I put very simple current limiter because i still want to use it like back up.

GS35 with spot P4 and wide SST50 have similar lux pattern but with different angle .

(I have some other project with GS35 like video lamp for camera - but GS 35 is only lamp that I like it )

I found another alternative that is really low budget ... known under different names but containing an SST-50:

mj850

Any experience on this one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom