(31 MAY 05) DOM REP Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clive,
If you were in the UK you'd be expected to do your own kit/de-kit with the help of a buddy if necessary. Sure it's nice to have someone bring it on board but at the end of the day it's your kit and you are responsible for carrying it and assembling it.

The one thing I've learned from diving with experienced divers blokes both here (UK) and abroad is that the individual is responsible for their diving, however, in my own experience DMs do not hammer this concept forcefully enough to the newly seasoned diver.

As for DMs babysitting divers, well they shouldn't have to , but in resort areas where a lot of divers are novices or holiday divers I cannot see any harm in DMs asking people to do their checks and assist if necessary.

To dive with faulty equipment is not a sensible thing to do but I agree with you that a well run dive shop should ensure that its equipment is in reasonable working order particularly if you are being charged for kit rental.

As for taking someone to that depth on their 5th dive - madness! That's an accident waiting to happen.

As far as i know 99% of new divers, dive with 'rental gear', surely this shows that it should be of exceptional standard. To say always bring your own gear is neglecting the fact these dive outfits are constantly using this gear to certify people who are at most risk if gear is faulty.

dbulmer:
Clive,
If you were in the UK you'd be expected to do your own kit/de-kit with the help of a buddy if necessary. Sure it's nice to have someone bring it on board but at the end of the day it's your kit and you are responsible for carrying it and assembling it.

The one thing I've learned from diving with experienced divers blokes both here (UK) and abroad is that the individual is responsible for their diving, however, in my own experience DMs do not hammer this concept forcefully enough to the newly seasoned diver.

As for DMs babysitting divers, well they shouldn't have to , but in resort areas where a lot of divers are novices or holiday divers I cannot see any harm in DMs asking people to do their checks and assist if necessary.

To dive with faulty equipment is not a sensible thing to do but I agree with you that a well run dive shop should ensure that its equipment is in reasonable working order particularly if you are being charged for kit rental.

As for taking someone to that depth on their 5th dive - madness! That's an accident waiting to happen.

You are correct in the UK you would be carrying your own gear but in the US and places with a lot of US exposure the DM's do carry it, there choice TIPS.
Also most places in the Carib will not let you dive without a DM leading. Its not my kind of diving but sometimes you have no choice if you want to dive there

CDiver2/Clive
Whoops - sorry Clive. You didn't have your gear with you - ignore me - a mistake on my part !

Before I write this I'm not saying it's ok or right or anything like that. On my 5th dive in florida me and another guy on his 5th dive along with 2 other exp. divers chartered a boat well the lazy azz DM didn't even get wet dropped us off and circled the wreck that was 96 ft below the surface. Yes I prob. shouldn't have done it but yes I was very aware the effects of nitrogen. I trusted my exp. partner and I felt comfortable the entire dive and think it made me a better diver but I would not recomend bringing a rookie that deep. I remember making up my mind when I was getting my OW that I would never dive with rental equipment again when I put my octo in my mouth sucked and got nothing. Since then I haven't touched the water without my own equipment.

There are lots of us poor (not wealthy) divers that depend on rental gear. We pay to use it and it should be kept in good condition!

Juat as soon as I can afford a reg I will get one. In the meantime, I either rent gear, or I am an OW snorkler.

Cheers,
Curt

jpd8888:
...On my 5th dive in florida me and another guy on his 5th dive along with 2 other exp. divers chartered a boat well the lazy azz DM didn't even get wet dropped us off and circled the wreck that was 96 ft below the surface...

I'm sorry, but how does that make the DM lazy?

clive francis:
now i never got to speak to the diver that bolted to the surface, but i wonder if he had my regs, or more to the point i ended up with his!?!

This is why I will NEVER rent a set of regs, it's also the reason I that my regs were the first bits of gear that I purchased.

Glad to see you made it back alive and well. I feel sorry for that new diver, I can only imagine what that could do to a divers confidence.

Canadian_Diver:
This is why I will NEVER rent a set of regs, it's also the reason I that my regs were the first bits of gear that I purchased.

Glad to see you made it back alive and well. I feel sorry for that new diver, I can only imagine what that could do to a divers confidence.

Apparently the diver was happy to get back in the water and resume his dive training, although i'd assume he wasn't allowed to dive any further that holiday. Also i'm saying apparently since all the trouble we had with the shop it might well be that he is now a hydrophobe. Anyway hopefully he's diving again, can't really be sure unless we hear from him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom