(31 MAY 05) DOM REP Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaMarine:
First of all, thank you for not bashing me on this. I agree and had I known things like a student should not be in and overhead environment I would have declined to follow. I was also unaware that 114 ft exceeded the depth at which we should train. We had a lot of training in the classroom setting for OW and very little for AOW. We did discuss the problems caused by ascending from depth too quickly and how to figure out which way is up, etc... I thought they did a good job and I feel confident as a diver, however it concerns me that I may have missed important info.
You may have said it but I was a little unclear, was that dive your deep dive for your AOW? What agency is it, PADI?

I like PADI but the one thing I don't agree with is the fact that you can get your AOW right out of OW. I believe that you should have at least 10 dive onyour own before you go for AOW but that is just one mans opinion.

The important thing is you dive inside you ablility and have FUN!! :eyebrow:

Where do you dive usually?

getwet2:
Everytime I have flown your carry on has had to be the correct size, weight and it had to be in one bag. One camera bag and one reg bag would not be allowed, if the reg could be fitted into the camera bag then that was OK. It doesn't make any sense to me but I don't make the rules. I usually check with the airlines before I fly because everyone is a little different just to make sure but they have always said ONE piece of carry on, within the restrictions. Now women are allowed to carry a purse as well as one piece of carry on, go figure????
They count the small reg bag like a purse or laptop (assuming it's the same size). You can still carry on 1 other piece of luggage.

I always carry my regs. Everything else is easily replacable.

Terry

Web Monkey:
getwet2:
Everytime I have flown your carry on has had to be the correct size, weight and it had to be in one bag. One camera bag and one reg bag would not be allowed, if the reg could be fitted into the camera bag then that was OK. It doesn't make any sense to me but I don't make the rules. I usually check with the airlines before I fly because everyone is a little different just to make sure but they have always said ONE piece of carry on, within the restrictions. Now women are allowed to carry a purse as well as one piece of carry on, go figure????
They count the small reg bag like a purse or laptop (assuming it's the same size). You can still carry on 1 other piece of luggage.

I always carry my regs. Everything else is easily replacable.

Terry
Thanks for the tip.
I'll have to try again next time but they were quite clear about it when I asked them.
Things change all the time though so you never know. :hm:

For what it is worth - after surviving about twenty five years of diving and some REALLY scary experiences with rental gear, I have the following self imposed rules:

1. I will only dive with my own primary gear (Regs, mask, BC).

2. I will never let a dive op load or rig my gear.

3. I will not dive with a "buddy" that I have not dived with or know reasonably well. If that is not possible I will dive solo - a bad buddy is WAY worse than no buddy. So no "you dive with so and so" on the boat.

4. I will only rely on a buddy check from my buddy.

If I cannot conform to the above rules - I simply wont dive - it is not worth it.

Everyone to their own, but thats my plan. Last fall we lugged all our gear from Texas to NW Australia. It was a pain but we did not regret it for a moment.

mrobinson:
Clive - you're learning about diving (and posting) in a negative fashion. I'm sorry more people are not making their points a little more constructively.

Please don't be too disheartened. I think your experience can be told by many on this board - they're just too afraid to say their worst experiences because of threads like this.

I'm sure between refreshers and more training you'll be on your way to enjoying diving more.

i did receive a PM from someone on that side of the pond saying i would be flamed for posting it because i was not a DM or instructor.

considering you lot live in a blame culture i am surprised at some of the comments.

what refreshers and training would that be?

over 100 dives and completed most of my DM before work took over, i think i have paid padi enough!

I got this this morning from PADI:

Thank you very much for your email regarding the incident of **** ****.

We appreciate your follow up email.

I regret to tell you that the Training and Quality Management department has never received your incident report on this case.

Moreover, I'd like to inform you that both the Training and Quality Management and the Risk Management departments are still working on this case . Our staff is working on it.

If you could provide us with the incident report you have filled in, that would help our investigation to have a better grasp of the situation.
If you do not have that form with you anymore, please use the one I have attached for your convenience.

I want to thank you for your time and cooperation with this case.

If you have any questions or additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,

never having filled out a report before i wasn't aware that there was a proper form to fill out, the dive shop gave us a blank sheet of paper and we wrote down what happened.

it would appear that due to the fact that we all said they took him too deep they did not submit the reports and have probably said it was just them and an instructor.

by the way there was 2 students and 1 instructor, no DM cover.

wow, did you write out the complaint on the paper and expect them to mail it for you? for an honest trusting person, i can see why you'd do that, but if you think they were sharks, why put them guarding the bait fish? i'm not surprised padi never got it.

i guess my take-home from all this is (1) take my regs if not my whole set of gear when traveling, and (2) if i have a complaint, complain both to the op and to padi directly.

sorry you had such a bad experience.

clive francis:

by the way there was 2 students and 1 instructor, no DM cover.[/left]

That is with in standards.

Thanks for posting Clive, What did I tell you. I personally take my own gear and will have staff load it on the boat for me then *I* set it up and check it along with my buddy. As Airlines are struggling these days they are getting more and more stringent on enforcing the the rules we have had it easy for a long time but that is changing. A couple of days ago I was departing Phoenix and the guy in front was one pound over weight, he was told lose the pound or it would cost him $75. Allowance for sport equipment ? if you read the rules most airlines make an allowance FOR GOLF equipment and thats it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom