30CF pony replace weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eth727

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've got a 30cf AL pony setup that weighs almost 20 lbs. I wear 20lbs of weight. Can I shed all the weight since the pony weighs 20lbs?

No. You will find that your tank is only about 1#-2# negative when full, and neutral when empty. Tank comparison chart. Remember that the buoyancy is related to the amount of water the mass of the tank displaces versus the mass of your weights. Best case you can take a couple pounds from the opposite side of where you mount your pony for balance.

oh wow....and even then don't remove the weight for the pony, keep your original weight or add 1 lb jus incase you need to empty your tank or something goes freakishly wrong. Most 30's are positive 1 lb when emptied, some are still slightly negative. I'm not sure about when you put a regulator and spg on it. It may be negative then and you don't need to add weight.

I've got a 30cf AL pony setup that weighs almost 20 lbs. I wear 20lbs of weight. Can I shed all the weight since the pony weighs 20lbs?

Hey eth727,

Another reason not to drop any weight is in case you need to separate from the pony for some reason (I'm guessing that for a 30cuft you are slinging it.) like handing it off another diver for example.

I've got a 30cf AL pony setup that weighs almost 20 lbs.?

No you do not.

I wear 20lbs of weight. Can I shed all the weight since the pony weighs 20lbs?

No you cannot. You need to take a basic dive class before you enter the water.

The last thing you need to worry about is junk like a pony bottle. Get rid of it asap.

Take a course and learn basic buoyancy.

You have been dangerously misinformed.

No you can't remove the weight for all the reasons above.
One thing to point out, all the estimates above on the addtional weight added are off by several pounds. While the additional negative buoyancy of the tank ITSELF is 1 or 2 lbs you also have to take the regulator into account, that is an additional 2 to 4 lbs , increasing the total additional negative buoyancy to more like 4 to 6 lbs, all of which need to be offset by air in your BC, not by dropping weight off your belt.

No you do not.

Well, actually he does. The tank + valve + reg weighs about 20 pounds, just like his lead weights weigh 4 or 5 or 6 pounds on land.

No you cannot. You need to take a basic dive class before you enter the water.

The last thing you need to worry about is junk like a pony bottle. Get rid of it asap.

Take a course and learn basic buoyancy.

You have been dangerously misinformed.

Whether a diver with his experience should be carrying a pony is debatable, but I don't see anything dangerous in the advise. In fact, perhaps my advice to possibly remove weight was wrong if he has to donate the pony to another diver.

As far as your other advice, did you check his profile? He has had training. Perhaps he doesn't understand bouyancy but isn't that the point of asking a question?

Hey eth727,

Another reason not to drop any weight is in case you need to separate from the pony for some reason (I'm guessing that for a 30cuft you are slinging it.) like handing it off another diver for example.

Yes I am slinging it. Wow I'm glad I posted this question. I thought I was going to be 20lbs overweight. Yeah if I handed it off I would'nt have any ballast and would start an uncontrolled ascent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom