300m dives achieved with what ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fair enough, and this isn't combative, but what are you hoping to achieve out of this? satisfy morbid curiosity, or use it to make an informed decision about a reg purchase? unfortunately for the second, what brands they used may not actually matter since they may well have been sponsored. In that case it doesn't mean that equipment was best, it was just free and/or available to them. Curiosity is about all you'll be able to satisfy out of the answers

I use Apeks and Aqualung, I believe you use or had Poseidon's right ? for our own reasons, not saying they are the best out there, but for reputation and price, I go for Apeks, I'm not discarding other brands, I need to buy 2 more regulators and I was thinking Apeks XTX-50 with DS4 or go for Aqualung Glacia, thinking about Mares XR 1st stages as well, combined with other 2nd stages that are not as heavy as the 22.

Last edited:
The best answer is probably from @Sam Miller III who witnessed the whole progression. I just read about it.

SoCal Dive history question Number 2

Found it

Aqualung, Aqua-Lung, and Aqua Lung are registered trademarks for scuba diving breathing equipment. That trade name is owned in the United States by the firm formerly known as U.S. Divers. The term was in use before the trademark was registered by Rene Bussoz, who owned a sporting goods store called Rene Sports in Los Angeles. He obtained a contract with the French firm L'Air Liquide to import the new scuba equipment into the US for sale on the Pacific coast (SPACO had the contract for the Atlantic coast). Bussoz changed the name of his company to US Divers and registered the name Aqua-Lung. This turned out to be a wise move, because when the French company decided not to renew his 5 year contract, no one had of even heard of their product, but everyone was familiar with the names he had registered. He sold the company and the trade names for a handsome profit, returning to France. The name US Divers sounded very official and very American, but it was owned by a Frenchman and sold to a French company.

I use Apeks and Aqualung, I believe you use or had Poseidon's right ? for our own reasons, not saying they are the best out there, but for reputation and price, I go for Apeks, I'm not discarding other brands, I need to buy 2 more regulators and I was thinking Apeks XTX-50 with DS4 or go for Aqualung Glacia, thinking about Mares XR 1st stages as well, combined with other 2nd stages that are not as heavy as the 22.

I do use Poseidon's, sold my Apeks years ago and wouldn't go back.
So to my last question, what does the use of Apeks in these record setting dives have to do with your decision to purchase one?

On reputation, reputation of Poseidon is down due to parts and service availability in the US from bad distributors. The quality of the regs has never been in question though there is a lot of misinformation about them being semi-downstream regulators.
Pricing is about the same in the US for Apeks and Poseidon for reference. Poseidon is a bit more expensive but not significantly. May not be the same in Europe, but it is over here.

The issues with Poseidon and why I don't recommend them to most people is the lack of service availability for most divers, especially locally, and the breathing characteristics are not for everyone. You basically have to send them out to be done. We worked and got a DIY service class approved and now you can DIY but it isn't for everyone.
Apeks and Scubapro are not in vogue in the US anymore in the technical circles because of their asinine parts kit policies in the US *dealers can and will lose their dealer status if caught selling parts kits to customers*.

Now known as Aqua Lung

And the saga continues: Aqualung sold to equity firm

I wondered how long the huge international industrial gas company Air Liquide would hold onto Aqualung after Jacques Cousteau and his ex-wife Simone passed away. Which is a whole other interesting human story in diving history.

most people are used to the high end regs having 0 cracking pressure. The poseidons need you to start the inhalation since the diaphragm is on the side instead of on the bottom. I.e. if you just remove them from your mouth while horizontal they won't freeflow like a normal reg. If you roll diaphragm down, they will. It's a different sensation and even though the WoB is as low or lower, it's still not the same. This is most notable with the Jetstreams, less so with the Xstreams

I do use Poseidon's, sold my Apeks years ago and wouldn't go back.
So to my last question, what does the use of Apeks in these record setting dives have to do with your decision to purchase one?

WOB

Availability of service centers is the other reason, I heard bad things about Mares WOB, but I think they were not well founded, but that is another brand that is everywhere and is affordable, ( XR version 1st stage) I like the 22 series a true all metal 2nd stage but they are too heavy.

@Remy B. again though, how do you know that they chose those regulators because they had the best work of breathing? How do you know that they weren't sponsored by an Apeks dive shop so they had to use them, or they were given to them, or that is what they chose for a myriad of other reasons that have nothing to do with them actually being the best regulator for that specific dive?

No different unfortunately than any other celebrity type who uses a specific product. You don't actually know the true reasons behind their use of a product. I'm not bashing Apeks, they're great regs, I wouldn't buy them or really recommend them unless you have some specific reason for it since I think there are better options out there, but they are very good regs and CE certified to 200m, well below your personal 70m limit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom