300BAR valves with PST E Series?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks

Snr LayZboy Meteorologist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am sure the answer is out there, although i cant search with anything less than 4 letter words, so 300 bar pst and e7 100 or e7 120 dont really work that well, so forgive me if this has come up before.

I had been thinking of getting a pair of E7-100's and E7-120's - see other thread about doubling them now or later, and had thought that even though the E Series are rated at 3442 psi (so that they are below the 3500psi for HP rating), that the valves would be fairly similar if i wanted to put on a 232 or 300 (is it that figure or around there?) bar valve. I had asked various shops to price these tanks up for me, both in doubles pairs or as 4 single tanks (with or without H valves), i asked for 300bar valves and no-one raised an eyebrow to that. I also had my eye on getting them from Divers Direct near me at a reduced price compared to the other LDS's, but they told me that i wouldnt be able to put a 300bar valve on the E Series tanks due to the neck thread being 7/8" and that not being suitable for 300 bar valves, but fine for the 232bar/K-yoke valve that comes standard with it. However when i was researching this stuff on Dive-Rite Express, who pretty much only sell PST steel tanks, they have the ability to put on 300bar valves and manifolds etc. So now i am quite confused, are some cast with 7/8" threads and can only be used with that 232bar valve and others with another (cant recall what dia thread) that can only be used with 300bar? I know various people on here dive those tanks, do you use the 232 or 300 bar valves?? Did you have to order them a certain way to be able to use those tanks and valves? Maybe the ones available to DD are only the 232bar compliant ones and others can get the 300bar valves and compliant tanks. The reason i ask about this is that my instructor mentioned that i should try to get 300bar valves instead of 232 - i just followed him on this, what actual advantage is there in this - just that they can take a higher pressure?? Our regs are 300bar DIN so should be no problem there.

I swear, buying equipment is the most confusing part of diving!

I actually just talked on the phone with DiveRite this morning and was told that there's no problem with the "200bar DIN/K" valve and filling the tank to its full rated pressure. The only real difference between the "200bar" and the "300bar" valves comes not from the tank's perspective, but from the DIN fitting on the 300bar valve not being able to funciton with a 200bar DIN regulator.

-Rob

The 7/8" thread PSTs are their old tanks. All of their new tanks have 3/4". THeir new tanks also come with the combination yoke/DIN valve. I don't know if the DIN is 300 or not.... :15a:

There is no such thing as a 300 Bar Din/Yoke valve. If it's Din/Yoke, it will be 232 Bar. A Yoke clamp won't fit over a 300 Bar valve.

And all the valves are 3/4" now. I don't think anyone is manufacturing 7/8" cylinders anymore. So there's no difference as far as the cylinder. You can put a 300 Bar DIN, a 232 Bar Din/Yoke, or even a plain old Yoke valve on there if you really wanted (please don't.)

Hope that makes it easier.

So these tanks with 7/8" are older and not preferable then. I will go into Divers Direct tonight and see what to make of it all. Did they make the E Series at any time using the 7/8" thread, or should they all be 3/4"?? Maybe i got a mixed up salesperson and not someone who knows anything, or maybe they have an old stock.

I understand its either 300bar only or 232bar/K(yoke). Wouldnt ever intend putting a yoke on the tanks! I bought my regs with 300bar DIN just so that i could get some HP tanks - when i then went about buying those - right about now really.

simbrooks:
So these tanks with 7/8" are older and not preferable then. I will go into Divers Direct tonight and see what to make of it all. Did they make the E Series at any time using the 7/8" thread, or should they all be 3/4"?? Maybe i got a mixed up salesperson and not someone who knows anything, or maybe they have an old stock.

I understand its either 300bar only or 232bar/K(yoke). Wouldnt ever intend putting a yoke on the tanks! I bought my regs with 300bar DIN just so that i could get some HP tanks - when i then went about buying those - right about now really.
E series are all 3/4". If its 7/8", it's one of the older PST HP tanks. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with these tanks. I've had one for 15 years and it's still going strong. But finding a replacement valve if you damage one will be almost impossible. I recently had to do it. And finding a manifold will probably be completely impossible. You may find that the people at DD are simply wrong about the thread. All the shops down here were dumping the older HP tanks last spring. I doubt there are any left in the shops now.

Phew

I will still check tonight, i might have a good thing going here with DD prices for the tanks and getting them stickered elsewhere for a small fee (as this other LDS cant get the tanks in). Slightly like you had suggested before Reuben, and this thought had popped in my mind, but yet i didnt think any LDS would be willing to do this if they could get the tank in themselves (kind of like buying online and walking into your LDS dealership and asking about how to use it - except this other LDS was fine with it).
:redcap:

reubencahn:
E series are all 3/4". If its 7/8", it's one of the older PST HP tanks. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with these tanks. I've had one for 15 years and it's still going strong. But finding a replacement valve if you damage one will be almost impossible. I recently had to do it. And finding a manifold will probably be completely impossible. You may find that the people at DD are simply wrong about the thread. All the shops down here were dumping the older HP tanks last spring. I doubt there are any left in the shops now.

Genesis still sells valves for them including manifolds

simbrooks:
Phew

I will still check tonight, i might have a good thing going here with DD prices for the tanks and getting them stickered elsewhere for a small fee (as this other LDS cant get the tanks in). Slightly like you had suggested before Reuben, and this thought had popped in my mind, but yet i didnt think any LDS would be willing to do this if they could get the tank in themselves (kind of like buying online and walking into your LDS dealership and asking about how to use it - except this other LDS was fine with it).
:redcap:
Most shops want the sale however they will fill and inspect your tanks for you as a service point

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom