3000psi valve in a 3442 tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The valve says VX 5000

XS Scuba Valves

Pick a valve. But if the decal does not say 3442 you may have trouble getting fill ops to fill it. Sounds like the shop just stuck the wrong valve in. Do not let them tell you it is the burst disk that counts. They may be correct and the fill op incorrect but that will not get your tank filled.

1347720466954.jpg1347726306839.jpg1347726344453.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:37 PM ----------

1347720404725 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 1347720404725.jpg
    1347720404725.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 352
It's the burst disc, not the valve. Get the shop that sold it to you to fit the appropriate burst disc and change the decal. Then you will have no problems when you try to fill it.

It's the burst disc, not the valve. Get the shop that sold it to you to fit the appropriate burst disc and change the decal. Then you will have no problems when you try to fill it.

So all the valves are built the same? It is only the burst disc that determines the pressure rating?

---------- Post Merged at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Aslo does anyone know if the vx5000 valve is the correct one for this tank? Is it from XS scuba?

I would call XS scuba and semi-politely ask them, once you get significantly past the phone-answering-person, to sort it out. You shouldn't have to do a thing to sort out someone elses ****-up

So all the valves are built the same? It is only the burst disc that determines the pressure rating?

---------- Post Merged at 01:12 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 01:11 PM ----------

Aslo does anyone know if the vx5000 valve is the correct one for this tank? Is it from XS scuba?

A valve model is a valve model BUT they differ in the burst disk installed and in the psi rating decal stuck on the valve. I would not rely on a fill op checking the burst disk rather than the decal on the valve. I had trouble on a live-a-board where the tank monkey read 3442 on the tank but did not see that pressure on the valve. He did not understand 232 bar indicated on the valve decal.

I would call XS scuba and semi-politely ask them, once you get significantly past the phone-answering-person, to sort it out. You shouldn't have to do a thing to sort out someone elses ****-up

Im just trying to see if it was a mistake. I'm sure the shop I got them from will correct it if it was. And I also wanted to make sure the second shop that filled it yesterday was giving me the correct info.

have the shop swap around the burst disks and just peel off the decal, it isn't necessary. there's a fill pressure stamped on the tanks (3442psi). like others have said, the valve construction is all the same, the only thing the decal is identifying is the burst disk pressure. even between 200-bar and 300-bar valves the only difference is the number of threads and that has nothing to do with engineering for tank pressure and is just to ensure that 200-bar regulators (if any still exist) won't mate to a 300-bar valve. i've got several "200-bar" valves that i fill to 3800 psi (hot) and then slap a 300-bar regulator on (they've got high pressure burst discs, just "200-bar" threads).

What is the number on the burst disc? I couldn't read it.

Back
Top Bottom