3000 psi vs 3442 psi valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagic_one

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all, is the 3442 PSI valve significantly different than the 3000 PSI valve? Should the 3000 variety not be used at any higher pressure? I'm inquiring about new valves like THERMO brand and using current first stage regulators like Aqua Lung.

Thanks!

Hi all, is the 3442 PSI valve significantly different than the 3000 PSI valve? Should the 3000 variety not be used at any higher pressure? I'm inquiring about new valves like THERMO brand and using current first stage regulators like Aqua Lung.

Thanks!
No, it's limited by the burst disk

I assume your question centers around the 200 vs the longer 300 BAR DIN configurations?

3442 and 3000 valves all use the "200 BAR" DIN configuration.

The valve bodies themselves are the same part. Identical in every way. The only difference is the rating of the burst disk installed. The 3,000 PSI valves have 5,000 psi disks, the 3,442 psi valves have a 5,250 psi disk, IIRC. It usually coincides with the hydro test pressure of the bottle.

You will probably find the disk rating stamped on the head of the assembly (at least on modern full assemblies).

I assume your question centers around the 200 vs the longer 300 BAR DIN configurations?

3442 and 3000 valves all use the "200 BAR" DIN configuration.
Not always the case. Apart from my pony, I have 8 tanks. 2 AL80s, 4 HP100s, and 2 HP120s. One of my regular buddies dives yoke. If he were to need to borrow some of my tanks, he could only use two of them. Only the HP120s have the combo valves. The AL80s and the HP100s all use the 300 BAR DIN valves.

300 bar is 4250 psi, the OP asked about 3000 vs 3442. Incidentally why do you have 300 bar valves on 230 bar cylinders
I’m aware of that. I was responding to another poster who stated that the 3000 & 3442 would have the combo type valves.

As for my ALs. They originally came with yoke valves. My regs are DIN, so I decided to swap the valves out. The 300 BAR valves were available and less expensive.

Thanks!
3000 psi standard yoke tank valves will work with higher pressures, shhh don’t tell anybody!. I’ve seen 3000 yoke tanks filled to 3300 - 3500, they’re not supposed to, but what they’re “supposed” to do and what actually happens are two different things.
Are they different? No not really, you attach a yoke or a DIN reg on to it and go diving. Air comes out and you breathe it.
3442’s/convertible valves were invented because they pushed the upper limit of what the industry considered still safe for yoke (because it was less than 3500) while giving the option if using DIN too. Anything over 3500 is supposed to be DIN, but then again a good fat fill upwards of 4000 on a 3442 convertible valve with an insert has been done and someone slaps a yoke reg on it and goes diving. You’re not supposed to but they do it.
So given the choice I like 3442 convertible valves just so I have the option of using DIN or yoke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom