30-40 dives and rebreather certified?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very scary scenario. I wonder how he got a hold of a Inspiration. That said - any number of ways you can kill yourself on this thing. Did this Darwin event occur in Massachusetts? I've seen my share of Darwin events on a RB and in the end any ******* who tries to use these things by forgoing training, or finding a competent instructor typically ends up dead.

If I had been there, and as a Inspiration instructor I would have tried to find a way to keep his DSV so that he couldn't dive. Then find the serial number and track down the ____k who sold it to him. Bad.

X

May be he'll take himself out of the 'gene pool' before he has a chance to breed ;O !!!!!!....He's obviously 'tip-toeing' through it !!!!!

Guys, you might as well get use to it: you don't need certification or training to buy a used RB. And, the seller isn't under any responsibility to verify that the buyer is qualified to buy it, any more than a seller of a tank is under any responsibility to verify that that buyer is qualified to buy that.

More and more RBs are going to be coming on the market. This is just going to happen.

Guys, you might as well get use to it: you don't need certification or training to buy a used RB. And, the seller isn't under any responsibility to verify that the buyer is qualified to buy it, any more than a seller of a tank is under any responsibility to verify that that buyer is qualified to buy that.

More and more RBs are going to be coming on the market. This is just going to happen.

If I were a known RB manufacturer I would not want my RB's out there being sold, or used by non-certified idiots, or being sold by some dick. Bad for my company, and a ton of hassles in court. I bet in the US (should litigation occur) I bet someone's widow would snare the seller, Ebay, the manufacturer etc in court. Probably wouldn't go too far, but still costly and ugly for me as a manufacturer. If I were in any other country besides the US - no biggie. The wanker got what he deserved.

X

I have around 70 dives but IMO I dont think there is or should be a limit on dives to dive a rebreather. I personally see no reason why someone couldnt start diving a rebreather right from the go.

Some agencies (I have the same opinion) recommend that you start OW on a breather if that is the route you want to go. Breathing, buoyancy and processes differ greatly between OC and RB.

And in fact you can get OW certified on a Poseidon Mk. VI through SSI.

Some agencies (I have the same opinion) recommend that you start OW on a breather if that is the route you want to go. Breathing, buoyancy and processes differ greatly between OC and RB.

IMHO that should be left up to the instructor to decide, whether a student should be allowed to start on CC or OC as an OW student. I could not imagine an OW student being that competent with everything that is involved with a rebreather; definitely not in the typical OW class setting.

IMHO that should be left up to the instructor to decide, whether a student should be allowed to start on CC or OC as an OW student. I could not imagine an OW student being that competent with everything that is involved with a rebreather; definitely not in the typical OW class setting.

Cheers. As a RB instructor I would want a student on OC first to get the requisite process skills such as monitoring a gauge, dealing with the physical nature of being underwater, buddy checks and all the multi-tasking bits before they move onto something as complex as a rebreather.

From one perspective I see a point in starting RB exclusively, but personally I can't see how the recreational side of RB sales makes fiscal sense in that most folks who want to do lightweight diving aren't going to put up with the hassle of prepping, testing, cleaning a RB vs. something as simple as donning on a tank and simply going diving.

As per the fool on Inspiration - knuckleheads like him come around every once in while. I once had a diver who tried to fax me his RB test so he could scam a C- Card with his instructor who was all but too willing to sign off on a forged test. Both parties involved are no longer alive.

X

I just took a rebreather intro, and the sales rep went right out of AOW into a rebreather.

This reminds me of a time a Guy I played airsoft with self taught himself to use a rebreather and was trying to teach other people how to use a rebreather at a local pond.

This is also the same guy being held in jail for theft of roughly 10K in cash and tons of gear....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom