3 more weeks!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla:
Irregardless of what you wear, the most important thing to do is rinse well with fresh water after exiting the water. If you wear a skin or wetsuit, strip it off between dives.. the longer you wear the stuff without a wash down the more likely you'll be carrying around sea buddies!

Read this for info:
http://www.fau.edu/safe/sea-lice.html

Okay, from that I gather these are the same little monsters they call thimble jelly larvae in Cozumel....right? we have never run into them since we always went to Coz in June. Just lucky I guess.
So from what I read it sounds like they are floating hear the surface. Is that true? In Coz our DMs always told us to purge our octos to clear them away when going up to the surface. I only had to do this once when we did our safety stop right in the middle of a cloud of tiny jellies. I didn't get any stings. The octo purge thing worked great for keeping the buggers away from my face. I am guessing these sea lice are smaller and can't be seen - true? Is that part of the problem, you can't see them???!!!???
This isn't going to affect our trip at all - we only get to the ocean once or twice a year and this is our 20th anniversary. We are going to dive no matter what. I just want it to be as pleasant as possible. Thanks!!!

robint

I could be wrong, I know shocking to some folks, but I'm pretty certain the surface area is where the lil creatures are at, and from what I've read they are in fact jelly fish larvae hence the stings. Personally, I surface real slow from my safety stop, usually not even horizontal.. just following my bubbles up to the surface with my hand up. :)

CBulla:
Question for ya Vickie - since sea lice likes to find places to nestle and hide, why wear a skin where they can snuggle up close at the neck, wrist and collar lines? In all my swim suit and speedo diving I've not had this strange affliction of sea lice :D

Actually Colin, your right! In general, the less you have on your person, the less places those little monsters can zap you. For me, I must have protection against full grown jellies so I must wear at least a skin. I fing that sun screen "SafeSea" to be extermely effective in the exposed areas (neck, wrist ).

CBulla:
Question for ya Vickie - since sea lice likes to find places to nestle and hide, why wear a skin where they can snuggle up close at the neck, wrist and collar lines? In all my swim suit and speedo diving I've not had this strange affliction of sea lice :D
Perhaps repulsion from what it saw???:D

Uhhh Colin, you aint gonna take that abuse are ya?

I just sprayed coffee all over my monitor!!! ROTFLMAO!!!

:11: Well, this is just great. (note the sarcasm) Today is Mother's Day. Let me say here, Happy Mother's Day to all. Our class is doing Pompano check out dive next weekend. Anyone hear of them present there yet? Hope those li'l buggers don't find me! I've got a "sensitivity" to bug bites and rashes. (I know, it's actually stings and they aren't bugs but, hey they're that small) Sounds like I'll need 3 or 4 "disposable" swimsuits- yikes! Guess as long as I certify on the first dive, that's what's important. With any luck, I'll be able to do all 6 dives. For those just starting out, or in classes now- we did lake dive yesterday. WHAT A RUSH!!! Big difference from the pool! We were 30ft down. Saw a soft shell turtle and tons of fish. They swam so close to us! Can't wait to see the reef and wreck we're gonna dive on. This is so cool! BTW any advice for treatment would be greatly appreciated. That is, treatment for the rash, don't think there's a cure for "diving fever"- not that I'd want to fix that. I have found a new love! :07: Robint- congratulations on your anniversary!

In my experience, being fully covered, with either neoprene or a good waterproof sunscreen, prevents problems by limiting contact with the little buggers. Nylon skins are far less effective as barriers. I don't "flush" my wetsuit when I know (or suspect that) sealice are in the water, and I agree that a thorough post-dive fresh water rinse (body, gear, and swimsuit) helps to minimize eruptions.

Outbreaks can be severe and extremely uncomfortable for days (not unlike a poison ivy reaction). I've found that Benadryl type antihistamines can help to lessen my reaction once I've taken a "hit", and that Land's End Oil, strong topical cortisone ointments, and hot showers work well to temporarily relieve itching once I've broken out. I've heard that the neurotoxins responsible for these reactions build up in our systems over time, making us more vulnerable to future outbreaks. Just because you've never had an outbreak doesn't mean you never will. Prevention is the key.

Lil38:
Robint- congratulations on your anniversary!
thanks!! It's funny - we had about 20 people at our wedding trying to talk us out of it since we had only known each other 2 months. And here we are 20 years later, just as happy as the day we got married, probably more since we are divers now!! LOL

Thanks everyone on your input on the little creatures - I think I will get some of that Sea Safe lotion to use on my neck, face, and hands. I haven't ever had a reaction to stings and neither has Ron but you never know!

robint

Scubakevdm:
Robin, we have stuff on the boat that'll keep you safe. I look forward to meeting you, and Happy Anniversary!
thanks Kevin, we are looking forward to meeting you too! Ron and I are already going through our gear and pacing around the house - and it is still 2 weeks away!!!! LOL

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom