3+ deco dives per day?

Three+ staged decompression dives in 24hrs?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there an official definition by any agency as to what is a light deco versus a heavy deco dive?

Not in those terms as far as I’m aware. NAUI differentiates between normal and extreme exposure. Not sure how the other agencies break it down.

For my personal diving, for mix deco dives 150’-200’ - I could see a situation where I’d do 3. Wouldn’t be going out of my way to look for those opportunities though. Can’t think of a time where I’ve done 3 in a day.

For dives over 200’ - I wouldn’t do more than 2/day. I can only think of one or two occasions where I might have done TWO dives at or deeper than 200 feet. I don’t do bounce dives even for training, so that may influence my thinking.

I don’t think more than 2 deep deco dives should be conducted in a training environment, period. A not-insignificant part of training is learning how your body handles depth and decompression stress.

I am old and I am growing older ... I dive for fun and doing a deep (80+ meters) with bottom time of 30 means I am doing 2 and half hours of run time ... Which means I am sunbathing while the boat is moving for the second rec dive of the day and having my drinks and lunch in an almost deserted boat.
Then while evrybody else is unkitting I am swimming around the boat with my swimsuit on.

Summertime and fun aside I rarely do a second deco dive and if I do after an 80+ is a 50- even because otherwise I would need to redo the scrubber on the boat and this does not work very well on most boats.

Can we find out what the dives where?

Can we find out what the dives where?
Yes,
this is the Rob Stewart death.
If you look in the spg->dive related court cases you can find the download of the computer.

In any case it is 2 long deco dives at 60plus and then a bounce dive to recover the grappling hook. It ended with the instructor sick on the boat and the unqualified diver apparently ok on the surface, then disappearing and being recovered a few days later.

There are multiple ongoing litigations here. What the OP reported are some of the transcripts in ine of such trials.

Thank you FSAdone. I won't comment further as I am not a tech diver (per OP request).

Have done 2 80m dives on 1 day, and the total divetime was over 5 hours. I really don't know how I can get a 3rd dive out of a day only because a day has only 24 hours if you want to have some surface interval and a normal sleeptime.

I also have done 3 dives on a day where only 1 dive was a trimixdive (85m). In this case it was a short dive of 25 minutes to bring our needed cylinders in a cave and pass the restrictions. Then had a good breakfast and did the 4 hour dive.
After the dive the weather was changing and we had to decide to pick up the cylinders in the evening, otherwise there was a risk we could'nt get in the cave the next day. so another shallow dive to bring everything out of the cave.

But no, 2 decodives is the max and even not allways an option.

Is it worth it ?

I have done 2 x 165ft on air and 50% deco in one day, as you see small dives, and I was feeling good after them, but like it was mentioned there is not enough time to do a 3rd dive and you probably will be trashed after a 3rd one, or dead if you are diving the profiles of that tragedy

For me,if I can deco on backgas reasonably then it is light.If I have to wear doubles and stages to do the dive then it's heavy even if it's not particularly either deep or long.

I do 6-7 light deco dives, often somewhat deep, a day as much as 25 days in a month when the spearfishing is good. We have compressors onboard and carry O2. That is simpler,easier and lighter than multiple tanks.

Even if the total bottom exposure is the same to do 3 dives in doubles and stages is just a lot more involved.

2 deco dives a day below 300ft is pretty normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom