3 days to kill in Yucatan, need ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gracklemann

Registered
Reaction score
Need some advice/ideas...
I have 2 weddings to attend in October, one in Cozumel, one in Playa Del Carmen, with a few days between them to 'kill'.
Basically I'll be in Cozumel from the 5th to the 10th (diving most every day) and then I'll be in PDC from the 13th - 16th (maybe 1 or 2 dives).
So... from the 10th to the 13th (3 days/nights) I am free to explore. I'll be with my wife, who doesn't dive, but loves the beach.

So, I'm looking for advice or ideas and what to do. So far I'm considering going to Merida or going to Belize. I'm looking for advice or ideas or past experiences. I don't know if there are flights beteen Coz and Belize, anyone know? Renting a car seems likely. Has anyone driven from Mexico into Belize? Where would you go in Belize?
What about Merida (obviously no diving there)?
Anyone have any other ideas or options I should consider?

Thanks.

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend checking out some of the cenotes. They are incredible dives and should not be missed. Go Cenotes is an excellent operation. On a non-diving note, Chichan Itza is only a couple hours away and is an absolutely fascinating ruin. You can get there by bus or rental car.

I'd second that. Head south to Akumal and hit the Cenotes. Exceptional diving.

gracklemann:
Need some advice/ideas...
I have 2 weddings to attend in October, one in Cozumel, one in Playa Del Carmen, with a few days between them to 'kill'.
Basically I'll be in Cozumel from the 5th to the 10th (diving most every day) and then I'll be in PDC from the 13th - 16th (maybe 1 or 2 dives).
So... from the 10th to the 13th (3 days/nights) I am free to explore. I'll be with my wife, who doesn't dive, but loves the beach.

So, I'm looking for advice or ideas and what to do. So far I'm considering going to Merida or going to Belize. I'm looking for advice or ideas or past experiences. I don't know if there are flights beteen Coz and Belize, anyone know? Renting a car seems likely. Has anyone driven from Mexico into Belize? Where would you go in Belize?
What about Merida (obviously no diving there)?
Anyone have any other ideas or options I should consider?

Thanks.

I don't think you'll be able to take a rental car across the border at Belize...someone correct me if you've ever actually done this. You can check flights from Cancun to Belize, I know there ARE some...just haven't checked pricing or schedules lately.

Ren and James have given excellent advice...cenotes are a great option and there are certain ones where your wife can also snorkel.

Isla Mujeres is also a nice little place...Tulum, Chitzen Itza, Coba, XCaret, Xel-Ha, and of course the beaches, shopping and dining in Playa are really great.

I live in Coz, but sent Labor Day weekend in Playa. I'm working on a trip report...but I spent most of the time diving.

If your wife likes beaches, you have to take a day trip to Tulum. The beach there is absolutely gorgeous. The view of the ocean from the ruins is outstanding as well.

I guess you're looking for a place that will entertain the wife so she doesn't have to sit around feeding the 'skeeters, eh?
I used to spend the month of January down in the Yucatan, we'd be based out of Progreso (almost no decent diving) & range widely.
Merida is a very culturally rich city, lots of spiffy sights to take in, especially if you have basic spanish language skills.
Around halfway between Merida & Coz is a city called Valladolid which is quite a bit smaller, but likewise culturally rich. It also has a spiffy underground cenote just East of the city that's accessible by a stairway carved through the rock. Good for swimming, a nice place to cool off.
No rental cars go across country borders.

You could also visit the Mayan sites, the latest "site to see" is a site call Ek Balam, it's not too far from Valladolid, the site doesn't look very large, but has very well preserved temples and buldings.

Of course the grand daddy of them all Chichen Itza is a little over 1/2 way to Merida from Cancun not too much further than Valladolid.

If you decide to go to Merida there are several nice sites in that area also, Uxmal and Mayapan to name a couple.

Headed south from PDC there is Tulum one mayan site that sits on the coast and isn't sweltering hot from being in the middle of the jungle, and then once you pass Tulum you can head about 40 Km into the Yucatan to Coba, on of the largest mayan cites, it's not as excavated as Chichen Itza or Tulum, but still very cool with the tallest temple in the Yucatan, both are very nice day trips from Playa. On the way to Coba there are 3 little mayan villages, in the second one there is a mayan artist who carves mayan hieroglyphs from limestone slabs and also make some other mayan statues and figureines, very cool souvenirs.

Another nice day trip is from PDC head up to Puerto Morelos and spend the day there, it's a nice quite sea side town with uncrowded beaches. very laid back and peaceful. Here's a link to a dive shop there that has some more info about the town on it www.divepuertomorelos.com

There are also the "eco parks" Xel Ha and Xcaret, the latter being the better of the 2 in my opinion. Both kind of touristy, but still a good way to spend the day.

Thanks Christi, good report. We dove the same sites in July and thought they were great and I think we saw the same school of Tarpin....about 100+ and they would not move out of our way!!!

I like Playa for the laid back diving, don't like the beach entries onto the boats tho. I have only dove Cozumel once and that was our first ocean dives. Want to come back and try it again.

Since you have such a good reputation on this board I will definitely look your shop up.

Doug

Rent a car, do Tulum, Coba, Uxmal and Chicken Pizza. Uxmal is the best. Based on your schedule spend nights in Tulum, Merida (special) and Valladaloid. Do Chicken Pizza when it first opens up and then get out around/by noon.

If your wife hates ruined things, skip it and sit on the beach.

Your wife will let you do a lot more diving for not being gready.

adios don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom