3 Days in June

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glock36

Reaction score
Hello everyone…..I have been reading some of posts about diving around the Austin area, and now I have a question for all the Swampers out there. If you were going to spend 3 days in the Austin area..say around June 19-21…which 3 areas would you dive? Here are a few other variables to this question…1. We would like to dive one of the rivers..(which one do you like…and why?). 2. My dive buddy is straight out of the open water course and will only have about 10-12 dives at that point..so no advanced dives. 3. We have not attended the class at Aquarena Springs…so this is out……
And last but not least…which swampers will be in the area around that time for some dives…Thanks in advance…..

Oh yeah…what is the average depth of the park at Mansfield dam…..thanks again…. :crafty:

A few thoughts:

We have done the San Marcos and Comal rivers. I prefer the Comal (a nice, lazy 35-40 minute drift; you can easily get in two dives on a single tank as the average depth is about six feet), although it's a longer drive from Austin.

Lake Travis is where many, if not most, locals dive. We often dive at the LCRA park at Mansfield Dam. There are a couple of platforms, some sunken boats, and a small plane fuselage. Depending on the lake level, you can navigate around these anywhere from 35' to 65'. Diving the face of the dam is an okay dive.
Windy Point is another, maybe more popular, place on the lake. Again, platforms and sunken stuff at similar depths (25' to 60').
Also good is Starnes Island, but you need a boat and the "wall" is best at 80' and deeper.

Kathy and I try to get out for at least one dive every weekend, once the lake warms into the 70+ degree range (probably about mid-June).

Hope this helps,

Alan

Glock36:
Hello everyone…..I have been reading some of posts about diving around the Austin area, and now I have a question for all the Swampers out there. If you were going to spend 3 days in the Austin area..say around June 19-21…which 3 areas would you dive? Here are a few other variables to this question…1. We would like to dive one of the rivers..(which one do you like…and why?). 2. My dive buddy is straight out of the open water course and will only have about 10-12 dives at that point..so no advanced dives. 3. We have not attended the class at Aquarena Springs…so this is out……
And last but not least…which swampers will be in the area around that time for some dives…Thanks in advance…..

Oh yeah…what is the average depth of the park at Mansfield dam…..thanks again…. :crafty:

Hi Glock,

I have only been to Travis once but it was very nice. Mansfield park is nice but parking was a problem on the Sunday I was there. Picnicker's where parked in the area designated for divers. We went to 90' at the Dam and I was told it gets down to 160' in "the channel." I enjoyed Windy Point more and it has a fill station. Once you make the drive down to the point you will appreciate not having to make the trip out for a fill. I will be going back next weekend for my AOW cert dives and I will let you know if I see anything new. I could meet you and your friend there in June and might be bringing a bud with a boat. I would like to see what the wall at Starnes looks like. This is the first I have heard of it. PS. I am also told that a GIANT catfish haunts one of the boats at Windy Point. I will be looking for him next weekend.

As noted, there are two active dive parks on Travis - both good. Mansfield Dam is a County Park, is cheaper, and features a healthy climb between the parking and the water. Toecutters depth sounds good, I've only been to 120'.
Windy Point is a private park on the other side, slightly more driving, depending on where you come from - and has campsites, picnic tables and is all-around a bit more friendly as per the amenities. Both areas are the same water, same ~160 feet, and are set up to be training areas, which means multiple platforms around 20-30' and lots of boats and stuff to tour to in the 20-60 foot range.

I dive Aquarena a lot - but have only done teh San Marcos river once. It was OK, I'm sure as I did more I'd enjoy more and be more comfortable! Lots of folks say good things about the Comal....sonds OK to me.

I might be available in mid-June - I'm still coming to grips with mid-April though!

I agree with everyone else. The Comal is a better river to dive. Too many weeds in the San Marcos River unless you hang out around the falls. The summer months a big toobing months on all the rivers around here. If you dive the Comal go early real early. Same with Travis go real early. You know if it's around water it's crowded that time of year.

The Swampers are suppose to get together for a June camp out but the talk has kinda fizzled out. Too early to set a date but if we wait there will not be any space available. :ne_nau: It is really hard to get a bunch of people together on the same date. We will see what happens.

Toecutter,

I'm doing my AOW also! Are you taking yours on the 24-25 weekend?

Thanks for everyones replies....I will show them to my dive buddy and see what she thinks....Comel river has got a check by it....now to decide on the other days...Thanks again..

And Toecutter, I will let you know more of the plans, closer to the date...maybe we could hook up for some dives...

Blue Skies...
Kenny :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom