3 Cell Voting Logic on eCCRs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwllorens

Registered
Reaction score
Voting logic doesn't make sense to me. It seems like most rebreathers that use 3 cells (or more, some can take a ridiculous amount of cells) and employ "voting logic" if they use a solenoid.

From what I understand, voting logic finds the two cells that are most alike and then averages them, ignoring the cell that is must unlike the other two.

This seems beneficial only if you make the assumption that any error (both minor accuracy errors AND major errors) that occurs in one cell is unlikely to occur in another cell at the same time. I don't think this is a very valid assumption, and in fact, it seems like problems within the rebreather that would cause one cell to fail or report erroneous or innaccurate values are actually very likely to effect the other cells in the rebreather which are usually nearby, subjected to the same environment, have similar ages, histories, and were probably manufactured at the same time. You get some dampness in your loop that makes one cell report a tenth of an ATM lower, it is likely at least one other cell will also be effected.

In that case, it seems that voting logic actually does more harm that good if more than one cell is effected, and a flat out average of 3 cells would actually report a MORE accurate value when two are innaccurate and one still works, wheras voting logic would discard the reading from the only working cell.

In addition, voting logic always assumes that one cell is broken. It doesn't assume that NO cells are broken. It doesn't assume that two are broken. It won't assume that all the cells are broken. It always assumes that exactly one cell is broken.

It seems like every manufacturer's approach is to avoid engineering a solution to the problem and just cramming in more and more cells with more computers to do more voting logic and maybe a bunch of other cells that are separate from the voting logic so that the diver can see a whole assload of different PPO2 numbers during a dive and try to figure out which one is the most accurate one. I mean, I guess it is OK to assume that if you have a hundred cells in your rebreather, at least one of them is going to work, right? But how do you know which one is the working one when they all say different things? Should you even have to worry about that? How is this even remotely considered an efficient solution to the problem of cell accuracy?

Why not just use two cells and some clever routing of the gas additions to the loop and use them to check and calibrate each other?

One cell can provide readings to the diver and drive the main O2 addition solenoid, while the other can get validated periodically during the dive by the electronics by using two other solenoids to blow tiny gusts of O2 and known composition Diluent across it at a known ambient pressure to verify voltage linearity and calibrate it. Then just check the primary cell that is driving the electronics and see if it matches the backup when this validation of the secondary cell isn't being performed. By doing this constantly during the dive, basically if the cells ever say two significantly different things, or the voltage linearity of the secondary cell is not confirmed, then something is CLEARLY wrong and the user goes to open circuit. Why? Either the primary cell isn't showing what it should because it doesn't match the cell that we are constantly testing and confirming that it works, or the secondary cell isn't passing the tests that we are performing so we can't validate the primary cell and be sure it works. Otherwise, you can rest pretty much assured that the system is not going to tell you a PPO2 value that is misleading.

So, is there something I am missing? How did voting logic become so popular among eCCR users and manufacturers?

Why not just use two cells and some clever routing of the gas additions to the loop and use them to check and calibrate each other?

That's what Poseidon does.
If that's what would make you comfortable, buy a Poseidon.

If you're worried about same batch issues, rotate your cells.

Otherwise, you can replace them every 12 months, constantly check, validate, and double-check them under the relatively safe suspicion that if one starts going wonky that one is very probably the wrong one.

A lot of us are adding a new sensor every (4) months.

Best regards,
Chett

Reactions: oya
This seems beneficial only if you make the assumption that any error (both minor accuracy errors AND major errors) that occurs in one cell is unlikely to occur in another cell at the same time.

I'm a brand new rebreather diver, so I might not have the best understanding or perspective, but I'm assuming that the idea behind voting logic is this: There are four possible states - (1) all cells working, (2) one cell failing, (3) two cells failing simultaneously, or (4) three cells failing simultaneously. From real world experience, #2 is a lot more common than #3 or #4. There are also protocols to detect two cells failing (like a dil flush or a 20 fsw O2 flush). Since you are flushing with a known gas, and you know what your PO2 should be at that depth, one or more failed sensors should show up there.

One cell can provide readings to the diver and drive the main O2 addition solenoid, while the other can get validated periodically during the dive by the electronics by using two other solenoids to blow tiny gusts of O2 and known composition Diluent across it at a known ambient pressure to verify voltage linearity and calibrate it. Then just check the primary cell that is driving the electronics and see if it matches the backup when this validation of the secondary cell isn't being performed. By doing this constantly during the dive, basically if the cells ever say two significantly different things, or the voltage linearity of the secondary cell is not confirmed, then something is CLEARLY wrong and the user goes to open circuit. Why? Either the primary cell isn't showing what it should because it doesn't match the cell that we are constantly testing and confirming that it works, or the secondary cell isn't passing the tests that we are performing so we can't validate the primary cell and be sure it works. Otherwise, you can rest pretty much assured that the system is not going to tell you a PPO2 value that is misleading.

Again, not a lot of experience here, but that sounds like a VERY complex system that would be prone to it's own problems. If you are going to make the case that this system is safer than three cells and voting logic, you would need to demonstrate that experimentally, I guess. I don't know how the Poseidon works myself, but from looking at the manual, it seems that it relies on an algorithm to determine confidence ratings of the sensor readings. Something like voting logic, but taking into account things that we look for like dynamic response rates. I may be wrong about this...

As far as the hardware solution that you suggest - It's hard enough to keep one solenoid working, let alone two additional solenoids (and the associated power and control systems) that have to have much tighter tolerances than the main one. You would need those tiny gusts to be big enough to flood the secondary cell and get it to respond in a stable fashion, but small enough to avoid adding unwanted dil or O2 to the loop. How do you know that the two extra solenoids are working exactly as needed? They can fail open or closed, how would you detect that? It's not like with your primary solenoid where it would be more obvious...

I'm sure that people with more experience than me can make more helpful comments... but it is an interesting thread. Thanks!

Voting logic doesn't make sense to me. It seems like most rebreathers that use 3 cells (or more, some can take a ridiculous amount of cells) and employ "voting logic" if they use a solenoid.

From what I understand, voting logic finds the two cells that are most alike and then averages them, ignoring the cell that is must unlike the other two.

This seems beneficial only if you make the assumption that any error (both minor accuracy errors AND major errors) that occurs in one cell is unlikely to occur in another cell at the same time. I don't think this is a very valid assumption, and in fact, it seems like problems within the rebreather that would cause one cell to fail or report erroneous or innaccurate values are actually very likely to effect the other cells in the rebreather which are usually nearby, subjected to the same environment, have similar ages, histories, and were probably manufactured at the same time. You get some dampness in your loop that makes one cell report a tenth of an ATM lower, it is likely at least one other cell will also be effected.

In that case, it seems that voting logic actually does more harm that good if more than one cell is effected, and a flat out average of 3 cells would actually report a MORE accurate value when two are innaccurate and one still works, wheras voting logic would discard the reading from the only working cell.

In addition, voting logic always assumes that one cell is broken. It doesn't assume that NO cells are broken. It doesn't assume that two are broken. It won't assume that all the cells are broken. It always assumes that exactly one cell is broken.

It seems like every manufacturer's approach is to avoid engineering a solution to the problem and just cramming in more and more cells with more computers to do more voting logic and maybe a bunch of other cells that are separate from the voting logic so that the diver can see a whole assload of different PPO2 numbers during a dive and try to figure out which one is the most accurate one. I mean, I guess it is OK to assume that if you have a hundred cells in your rebreather, at least one of them is going to work, right? But how do you know which one is the working one when they all say different things? Should you even have to worry about that? How is this even remotely considered an efficient solution to the problem of cell accuracy?

So, is there something I am missing? How did voting logic become so popular among eCCR users and manufacturers?

Your description of how voting works is not correct. A cell is voted out only if differs from the other two by some set amount (20% in the case of a Shearwater Petrel). If no cell has been voted out then all three cells are used.

On my first level RB course I was taught how to work out whether one cell was wrong or one cell was good in the case that they disagree.

or buy a Liberty which has He sensors in it where as long as you have some amount of He in the dil, you can validate your sensors that way. It's not quite as accurate as an O2 sensor which is why it doesn't replace them, but it will get you close enough to tell you about a wonky cell

1) - Most, if not all, CCR divers are rotating cells in and out on a regular basis - thus negating (hopefully) the situation you described where they would be more likely to fail at the same time

2) My CCR uses 5 cells. ONLY 3 are included in the voting logic. The other 2 - that are on a Nerd and shown in my eye - are for monitoring only, All 5 cells are of a different age (therefore different batch) and tested regularly (pressure pot and O2 flushes at depth). The value to me, in the other 2 cells, is that if a cell is ever voted out I am notified and I can immediately assess the situation and decide which cells to trust and which not to. A simple dil flush to a known gas and a known PPO2 of that Dil will tell me whether or not I have a cell failure or a situation to make a decision.

3) You talk about cramming more and more cells....to add to the voting logic. I dont believe this is true of any CCR. I think any CCR using voting logic is only working from either 2 or 3 cells. Most if not all CCRs that are capable of housing more cells are using the additional cells for monitoring purposes only and they are NOT included in any voting logic (except the voting logic in the divers head).

4) Seeing a whole "assload" of PPO2....as you put it - isnt hard at all. In fact 99% of the time the all read the same or within .1%. There are a lot of CCR divers that agree they only want to see 2 or 3 - but for me - I want data. I want to see all 5. It takes me less than a second to look at my wrist and eye at the same time and see that all is OK....or...that I may have a wonky cell to pay attention to. In my mind, that data (5 sets of PPO2 info) will help keep me alive in the event of a cell problem.

Voting logic is easy to implement and easy to understand. No black box of linearity comparisons going on. And as a diver you can flush and check that your assumptions about the cells and the logic derived from them at any given moment is correct.

Double cell failures are actually quite rare but have happened. I don't know of a single fatality where dual cell failures happened to cells less than 12 months old though.

The HP side of a regulator has never been designed to pass any substantive flow (through the tiny orifice in the 1st stage) so you don't lose your entire tank of gas - quickly- via one of the two minuscule little 011 dynamic little Orings in the SPG spool. Or a failed hose crimp.

IF you bored that orifice out you'd need to use such a small downstream orifice on your hCCR to flow properly at what is essentially 3000psi IP that it would probably clog with a fleck of pollen. Typical mCCR flow is 0.7L/min. You can calculate the orifice size to allow 0.7L/min flow at 3000psi and let us know how it compares to a pollen grain which are in the 6 to 100 um range :wink:

or buy a Liberty which has He sensors in it where as long as you have some amount of He in the dil, you can validate your sensors that way. It's not quite as accurate as an O2 sensor which is why it doesn't replace them, but it will get you close enough to tell you about a wonky cell

I get what your saying but as a new rebreather diver, I don't think DR.Mike is jumping into HE right away.

Best regards,
Chett

Back
Top Bottom