3/19 Gulf dive M60 Army tanks off Pinellas county reef system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dove the M60 Army tanks and the Culverts with Eandiver, Missdirected, me2me2, and my two sons Sunday.

Water going out (12 miles o/s) was a bit rough. We got a little wet, but on the bright side we were able to acertain that the water was warm before we splashed down. Ok, we got soaked......thank god for self bailing decks.

Once on site we anchored up in 35 feet of water with a 21 foot rope (just kidding) I'll let Missdirected explain that one. and dove the culverts. Water was nice and warm, Visibility was 40+ feet vertical and horizontal. After a brief hotwing lunch curtesy of Missdirected we set out for the M60 Tanks covered in hotwing sauce. We had alittle trouble finding the tanks at first with GPS and Sonar alone, so we quickly deployed Mark-ar. and found the tanks. (boy, what those other boats must have thought) I can tell you that Mark-ar works much better than sonar. Mark-ar can actually audiably tell you what your over, the vis, and what he thinks of the structure. Mark-ar will add drag to the boat so you have to give the engine a 100 or so extra rpm while trolling him. Additionally you can't make very tight turns while using Mark-ar as Mark-ar can be pulled into your propeller (on a naturalist dive this may be a plus).

Seriously, the water was so clear that once above them we could make out the tanks in full detail, and they were at 35 feet deep. It was like diving in an aquarium. Water was warm enough for shorty wet-suits, and the current was almost non-existant. Fish everywhere. I wil post some of the 60 some-odd pictures I took asap. I'll let my fellow divers that day take it from here....

What can I say...............for all you TampaBay divers sea life is back on the reefs/wrecks after last years red tide!!! Tons of mangos , sheephead and a few chicken grouper. Vis was top to bottom and temps were nice, unless of course you were like Myra who screamed everytime she hit the water but did manage to have good bottom times, you're from Maryland.....thats cold! and thanks for listening to my ramblings on the way home. Remember Key West!
Thanks to Tracy's excellent anchoring abilities, the DM assists and for handing me 7 pounds of weights just after I managed to achieve neutral bouyancy, to Dave for showing us what it's really like running in the offshore power boat classic and finally to me for allowing myself to be used as a shark attracting device with thankfully no bites.
Kudos to Eric and Louis too for the dock side help and letting us know on the way out just how fast we were going and how cold the water was.

Great people, great day! lets do it again!

Pictures are up, check out my gallery. They came out real nice. If you folks that were on the trip want, I can burn a complete set to CD and get it to you.

Hey mark, in all fairness to me, I did slow down twice to let everybody regain thier composure and wring all the saltwater out of thier clothe :D LOL....

Considering the load onboard and size/direction of the waves and wind it is a very dry boat and I do appreciate you stopping to let me put my wet suit on. At my age every little comfort is a plus.

FWIW if anyone plans on going out with this crew and brings hotwings.....stand back!
Even the baracuda were in awe :)

Read Tuesdays city/state section of the St.Pete Times about what happend at the marina after we left.

cool pics there narcosis

Fantastic report! I was in that area (Duneden) picking up tanks saturday, I brought my gear just in case there was a good place for a shore dive but was pretty much told don't bother by a guy at the local dive shop. By the way I just bought a boat for diving, do you feel like sharing GPS points??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom