3-17 Maui pic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I haven't been back in the water since I returned from the Philippines on 3/3. So this should amuse you in the interim.

1.jpg

Are you sure that is Hawaii and not California!? :11:

One of the things I find most ridiculous is that there are a number of countries that are to begin drilling in the Gulf of Mexico because of the large oil reserves that have been found (there have been hugh finds off the American coast and Mexican coast).
The Americans are not allowing drilling off their coasts ... there could be a chance of a spill...but it's absurd because the Mexican gov't will allow plenty of drilling. Guess who never pay if there is a spill, guess who should be drilling to help the U.S, become self sufficient...politics wins again, common sense looses

caymaniac:
One of the things I find most ridiculous is that there are a number of countries that are to begin drilling in the Gulf of Mexico because of the large oil reserves that have been found (there have been hugh finds off the American coast and Mexican coast).
The Americans are not allowing drilling off their coasts ... there could be a chance of a spill...but it's absurd because the Mexican gov't will allow plenty of drilling. Guess who never pay if there is a spill, guess who should be drilling to help the U.S, become self sufficient...politics wins again, common sense looses

03 June 1979; exploratory well Ixtoc I well; Mexico; Gulf of Mexico, Bahia Del Campeche, 80 km NW of Ciudad del Carmen, Campeche spilled 140 million gallons of oil.
It is the second largest recorded spill over 20 million gallons.

Dude, if they could get to more oil, it might not cost as much.

Caymaniac, what are you talking about there are more wells inshore Louisiana and offshore US GOM than anywhere else in the world. These wells have been in the GOM for years, just recently they have been on the move to what they call Ulta-deep water which they consider 3000m and deeper. We just purchased a new AUV that goes to 4500m because our current two AUV's only dive to 3000m and we would like to keep servicing our clients as they move to deeper and more complex areas of the GOM. While we are still not exploring other areas of the US for oil we are and have been for a long time drilling the GOM.
You are however correct that other countries are taking note of our US oil reserves and investing in them. I have personally worked for quite a few foreign oil companies in the US and around the world and just recently the company I work for did a site survey for the Brasilian owned oil company Petrobras in the deepwater GOM.
PS.. the safety standards of the many oil companies operating in the GOM has gone up in the last 27 years.

We are at $3.21 US here. Alberta is the home of the Oil Sands and other huge oil and natural gas reservoirs. It is more a case of the weather is getting better and the demand is getting higher.

Crawl79:
You are however correct that other countries are taking note of our US oil reserves and investing in them. I have personally worked for quite a few foreign oil companies in the US and around the world and just recently the company I work for did a site survey for the Brasilian owned oil company Petrobras in the deepwater GOM.
PS.. the safety standards of the many oil companies operating in the GOM has gone up in the last 27 years.

I used to live in Louisiana in 1972 for about 8 months and went back for a two weeks about 5 years ago. So I know that there are alot of wells and that they are pumping. It has been in the news here lately that there have been new finds off Mexico and that the Chinese and other countries are planning on drilling. My opinion is we should develop alternative fuels like hydrogen, meanwhile drill in the Alaskan preserve and anywhere else we can get oil, thereby cutting off our needs from the middle east. Every dollar we give them they seem to be using to give to groups that want to kill us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom