3-11-07 Down Under charter to YDT14 and Navy Tug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShagMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
This was a full charter of 20 people plus three crew and a captain.

The boat was ran by the Down Under dive shop, I'm guessing out of Orange Beach or somewhere close.

15 of the divers were from Deep South Divers out of Mobile, AL (including myself), mostly students for Advanced OW.

The water was VERY clear, I'm guessing 50+ ft. vis... 1-2 foot waves, semi-sunny. Couldn't have asked for better conditions!

Water temp was in the low 60's, I don't have my log handy for an exact number on that.

The first dive was on YDT14, top of the wreck was about 80' or so... the dive didn't go well for some... one diver shot back up the mooring line with instructor in hot pursuit, and another had to stop and re-ascend to clear momentarily... luckily I was with another dive master who didn't stop for all the fuss, and still got to do a tour of the wreck. This was my first boat/saltwater/deep dive so I didn't sight-see much, just constantly checked my air and made sure I was following somebody close.

The second dive was on the Navy Tug, and I had a much better time... there were no major mishaps from any of the students, and there were a lot of schooling fish hanging out... I'm told the majority were spadefish (looked like bland colored angel-fish to me). Lots to see on that wreck... depth was about the same, in the 80's to the mid-level of the wreck.

Not much to add, it was a class dive really, so wasn't as fun as it could have been I think, however I still really enjoyed it. The short dives would be much better if I had a buddy and not a class to keep with, so we could get more done in the short time of that depth of a dive.

Two great sites, go back when you can do it on your own profile instead of a classes. Surely you'll enjoy them much much more.Thanks for the report.

Hello Shagman

Was it an advance open water student that shot back to the top? I can understand the one having to go up some to clear. I cant help from wonder just how long the dive has been diving to bail out on a 80ft dive and race for the surface. Like Mat said the Tug at least for me is a nice dive a lot of marine life during the summer it is a must see at your own pace.

I might catch some flack on this opinion but you might think about getting away from the tourist cattle boats next time and catch a six pack. When the water temps climb back to a comfy shorty and you need a buddy give me a yell I’ve made up my mind to live in the water this year.

tom wicker:
... I’ve made up my mind to live in the water this year.

..instead of the beer can on your back? That'd be a hard choice for me! :D

SuPrBuGmAn:
..instead of the beer can on your back? That'd be a hard choice for me! :D

You got a point , I need to put a Michelob light bottle on it. With a slight frosty look with some cool fresh condensation running down the sides. My tongue is drooling here all over my keyboard. Man you’re a bad influence on a person even on a computer. Now I’ve got a Keg burger and a cold one on my mind

Thanks for the feedback guys...

I didn't know there was such a thing in the diving charter biz as a six-pack, I thought that was only for fishing charters...

I would definitely like to go back to the Tug or similar place when I'm not part of a class, like you guys said... I'm finishing my advanced OW trying to get done with the ho-hum class dives before summer-time is here and I can do some fun dives. This weekend counded for the adventure "wreck" and "deep dive" dives. Trying to get in a night dive class soon, and we're heading to Vortex to finish up with the navigation and one more adventure dive to finish it off.

We were setup to get a night dive done today, on the Whiskey, but hey, some bad storms coming through, making for a nasty rip tide.

I think the major two contributing factors for me not having a better time was 1) semi-seasick due to not having been on a boat in a while and 2) the dang hood/vest combo was choking my neck a little... that littel pressure on your neck goes a long way towards being uncomfortable.

Can't wait for summer when I can wear a 3mm or similar instead of the bearsuit(4/5mm) and hood/vest!

P.S. yeah it was an OW advanced classmember that shot back up to the top. I don't know the story, but I a few of the classmembers are hit and miss on what they can remember at any given time, and the guy that rode back home with me was passed out, he was so tired... so it seems some are, and some aren't, up to the task as it were.

I wouldn't fault the dive shop really, but there's some guys in that class I'd be cool with, and some that I would NEVER buddy with. I got lucky and buddied with the DM or the instructor on both dives.

Gary's Gulf Diver and Underwater Works both run boats that max their diver roster at 6 people.

Shoot me a line if you ever want to hit the Whiskey or some of the other Northern Gulf Coast beach dives.

I was supposed to go on these dives but I had some other stuff to take care of. The story I got from the dive shop was that it was a weight issue (underweighted at the end of the dive) not a bolt for the surface issue, but I wasn't there so I can't say.

Glad u had a good time. Jack has managed to rub it in every day this week that ya'll had a good time and I missed out. If you get a chance take Mat up on the whiskey, it is a good dive, and a he is one of the best dive buddies I have had to date. I have had the :huh: "pleasure" :huh: of having some of the guys from that trip as buddies.
I am up to go diving anytime, just let me know.

Nate - lets dive :p Where the hell you been anyway?

I guess I kinda took the winter off :shakehead . I will not be doing that again. Starting next weekend I am good to go. Family obligations this weekend.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom