3,000 Dives on Maui! Woo Hooo!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Please forgive me if it appears that I'm blowing my own horn, but, I reached a diving milestone last week and I am very happy to share the news with the entire Hawaii Ohana.

It's been a long time coming (almost ten years) but I finally made it. On Thursday, 4/19/07, I logged my 3,000th Maui Dive! I'm pretty stoked about it. My first dive here on the island was on August 2nd, 1997. It was off the Back Wall at Molokini. I made a promise to myself that day that I would be sure to log each and every dive here. I can't tell you how many good memories that log brings back now. It is certainly one of my prized possessions. It's getting pretty thick now too!!!

I have a lot of you "SCUBABOARDERS" to thank. Since joining SCUBABOARD in 2004, I've had the pleasure of taking many 'boarders out for shore dives in the Makena, Wailea and Kihei area. Thanks so much for giving me a reason to get wet!! We've seen mantas, sharks, countless turtles, eels, octopus', whales, dolphins, eagle and sting rays, monk seals, and much, much more! (Still waiting for my whale shark!) There've been some poor conditions, amazing sights, and really funny situations that have come and gone but overall I would say that I've never had a "bad" dive here. No accidents, no injuries (well, I did get bit on the finger by a big moray on January 2, 2000 at Ulua Beach, but that's been it). Maui shore diving is top notch and I look forward to many, many more hours under the sea. It will be another three years or so before I hit the 4,000th dive mark and I intend to keep on diving here and racking them up. I invite more of you "SCUBABOARDERS" to come see me.

Thank You SCUBABOARD! Thank You Jacques Cousteau! Thank You SCUBA WORLD (the shop I got my first C-Card at in 1981), Thank You Maui People! Thank You B&B SCUBA for all of that sweet air you've provided! Thank You to the Powers of the Universe and the Law of Attraction that have put me in this place, here and now, to make diving my life. It's been a wonderful life so far! And to everyone else who has helped keep me blowing bubbles along the way, "Thank You Very, Very Much!!!!!"

To all of you who dive now and in the future, I hope you will also log each of your dives. You never know when it will end and for many of us, diving is one of the greatest activities we ever participate in. I am proud of my log book and I could never remember many of the things that happened on my dives without it. It would truly be a shame to have not logged my last 3,000 dives.

"Thank You" for reading this post! I would love to show you some of my favorite sites on Maui some day! Aloha!

Doug,
My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our dives with you in Aug '05. You were very safety conscious and we had a blast scootering out to St. Anthony's. I have and will continue to highly recommend you to my students and friends when they go to Maui.

Hope you have another 3000 dives (or more) on Maui or wherever the currents take you.

Mahalo

Craig

How is Maui these days? I have not been there since the early 70's. Is ther eany work. I may pack up and come on out

Holy Cow! :O

What a milestone indeed Doug! Woo hoo!

:rockband:

:bang: :wave-smil :rocker: :god: :yl2jump:

Very cool indeed... and 3000 just in Maui...

Otter:
Doug,
My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our dives with you in Aug '05. You were very safety conscious and we had a blast scootering out to St. Anthony's. I have and will continue to highly recommend you to my students and friends when they go to Maui.

Hope you have another 3000 dives (or more) on Maui or wherever the currents take you.

Mahalo

Craig

Thanks Craig! I remember that day. I can still see the huge smile on your son's face when he first entered the wheel house of the wreck! Priceless! He was totally stoked. It was his first wreck, wasn't it? It was good to see you at DEMA too! I hope we'll dive again some day.

justleesa:
Congrats Doug! ....so where's the party?? :D
Aloha Lisa,

Thanks! You guessed it, we had a party to celebrate. It was Friday night at the Maui Raceway Park Drag Races. You could say it turned into a late night. Glad I didn't have to make number 3,001 the next day!!

Congrats, Doug!

Rumour has it there was a whale shark in the Crater today -- if you're not doing anything tomorrow, maybe it's worth hopping on a boat to see if she/he is still there!

-kb

That rumor is true. We were face to face that I could have touched it. One of Toby's divers ( DM w/ Scuba Shack) had to duck because the whale shark went right over him. It must have been at least 30 ft. long if not longer and its tail must have been about 10 ft tall. It was very awesome. Just got back from great diving in Palau and Truk and to come back to work and see a whale shark was just amazing. Too bad I was working, I didn't bring my camera but all of my divers did.

Back
Top Bottom