2nd week of OW, how's my instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flyingsherpa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been a lurker here for some time and finally started my PADI OW so I finally have questions of my own to ask!:)

So I just had my 2nd lesson last week and the instructor made the announcement that everyone in the class had bought their own gear (BC's and regs) except me and one other guy. Then he looked at us (the non-buyers) and commented "we're going to have to get you two in here soon to get your gear."

Then, after our pool session, the instructor came up to me and again asked when would I was going to come buy my gear.

Now, I've seen a lot of advice here and listened to my friend who is a DM and my impression was that its very premature to buy your own high-ticket items before you have some experience. The newbies in class had all plunked down at least $700 for their gear and have never seen OW.

I realize these guys make most of their money on gear sale, but should I be a bit wary of an instructor who is pressing newbies into gear sales before they even really try scuba diving? Or is this pretty common?

I plan on making one tropical trip to make sure i'm hooked (though I'm pretty sure i am!) before plunking down my money. Does this seem like a good plan?

By the way, this board rocks as far as info for newbies is concerned!

that kind of high pressure tactic. I like your plan of waiting until you have done a little diving first. You probably don't have many class sessions left. Just focus on getting the material down pat and finishing the class. Shrug off the pressure and stick to your plan. You could also consider getting a referral and doing the certification dives somewhere tropical.

Are you happy with the instructor otherwise? If so, can you ignore the sales pitch and concentrate on the class?

Scuba gear is expensive. IMO it is... how shall I put this politely... misguided to spend a lot of money before you (1) are sure you enjoy diving and (2) know what you want. You can read all sorts of reviews and opinions, but there's nothing like experience.

The best thing that happened to me was renting a BC that I hated. Didn't fit right, didn't have things in the right places, didn't put the air where I wanted, had a horrible inflator with an invisible button. When I compared it to the BCs I'd used previously, it was easy to see what mattered -- to me. Some things just come down to preference, and you can't know what you prefer until you've tried all the options.

Hope the rest of your class goes well,

Zept

Some shops strongly encourage gear purchase. While equipment ownership can be a good thing, I don't think it is absolutely necessary for open water students.

You could always buy (or possibly rent) gear from another shop and take it in to class. Just smile :) and tell your instructor that you have your own gear now.

you think that's high pressure! I heard at the weekend that certain dive shops here in Tokyo send out recruiters (for want of a better description).

These are usually young Shibuya boys (surfer dude wanna be's and may not be divers themselves) who prey on the young ladies. They persuade their target that diving is cool - maybe over drinks, karaoke and rumour has it love hotels - take them into the shop and get them to sign up. When they sign-up they pay for their instruction and equipment in advance at around $5,000!!

And what's more these places are very successful at what the do - not sure how good the divers are though that they turn out.

Jonathan

flyingsherpa...
OW students should not buy any gear until they are certified.
You instructor's actions are an abomination in my opinion and his avarice is appalling.

Your plan not to by until after you are certified and have taken your trip is an excellent plan. When the time comes I would advise that you do not buy from that LDS.

You will need to know what it is that you need and what you want to buy because it is obvious that your LDS does not have your best interest at heart and therefore cannot be trusted to give you good advice.

To bad... is there another LDS in your area? Even if there is their marketing scheme might be just as bad. You will have to be wise.

He is more into selling than teaching.

You should buy your gear when you are ready to do so, preferably after you're done with your course. You have to look around, ask and learn, in order to decide what's best for you. Don't go spending money just because you are being pressured.

My Instructor had to stop me from buying stuff, never pushed his "own" gear but tried to help me decide what's right for me, my level and style of diving, where I want to go, and my budget. I really respect him for that.

Try to concentrate on learning to dive and getting the best of diving advice out of your instructor. The gear phase will arrive. Go find the cash.

Ari :wink:

Stand strong ! It's appauling that an instructor would be pushing equipment during any phase of OW.You should complain to that LDS they might not know of that instructors "car salesman slickness". Some instructors work independent from the LDS. If the LDS is part of that kind of hard sell, finish your class and run don't walk away from that shop. Good Luck, hope all turns out OK

When I took my OW, the price included everythng except mask, fins and snorkel, right up to the time I got my C-card. I have purchased items from this shop, but I have purchased just as much elsewhere. that shop is now 21/2 hours away and I just this morning got my invite for the 3 hour pool session this coming weekend.

Quietly but firmly let both the Instructor and Manager know that you do not appreciate being singled out in class as being the only student without new gear. Keep in mind that the Instructor may be pressured buy the Manager to sell.
I always recommend that my students try different manufacturers
and determine which gear best fits their needs and pocketbook.
Let the Instructor know about the feedback that you have gotten here.
Good luck and come on down to Cozumel
http://www.DiveWithKelly.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom