2nd trip to the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M@tt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all. I am considering going to the Philippines for my 2nd trip. Loved it so much and I think I missed some nice places (and have to re-visit some places again). I am thinking 3-4 weeks in July 2013.

First trip I dove: Coron, Dumagatue, Bohol, Apo Island, Gato Island, Malapascua, Porto Galera. It was in July-August 2009.

Any suggestions for new places to visit considering the weather at that time of year? (in 2009 aroudn the same time I had good weather except for the Apo Island all else was great).

Thanks!!!

Could check out anilao for macro though weather questionable then? Maybe try southern Leyte which has great diving even without the whalesharks nov-April.offers excellent variety from walls to reefs to muck plus best night dive in the country! Panagatan cays off Panay can offer big stuff eg mantas and hammers. Boracay is fun with okay diving but not comparable to likes u have dived already.

Hey all. I am considering going to the Philippines for my 2nd trip. Loved it so much and I think I missed some nice places (and have to re-visit some places again). I am thinking 3-4 weeks in July 2013.

First trip I dove: Coron, Dumagatue, Bohol, Apo Island, Gato Island, Malapascua, Porto Galera. It was in July-August 2009.

Any suggestions for new places to visit considering the weather at that time of year? (in 2009 aroudn the same time I had good weather except for the Apo Island all else was great).

Thanks!!!

I have not been there that time of year as it is too nice here in the states and that is in the middle of typhoon season. You do need an extended visa for stays longer than 21 days. Looks like you really got around the last time except for Southern Leyte and Anilao. The set up in Anilao is a bit different and is difficult to do cheaply if you aren't with a group.

Places that you didn't go on your last visit.
Camotes Island, Mactan island, Moalboal and Southern Leyte are all within one day of travelling around Cebu City.
Camiguin is not that great in diving but the top side certainly is.
Davao, General Santos and Surigao aren't that far away.
If you still have time left then Anilao but make sure you are there over the weekend otherwise the cost shot up.

July isn't such a good time to visit the Philippines since it's typhoon season. even without typhoon it will be raining frequently during this time.

July isn't such a good time to visit the Philippines since it's typhoon season. even without typhoon it will be raining frequently during this time.

Would any of you risk going during the months of August through to October, technically still within typhoon season?

Would any of you risk going during the months of August through to October, technically still within typhoon season?
I would if I have time and money.
Typhoon does not strike the whole country in one go.
Eastern seaboard is pretty rough over that time but there isn't much diving there anyway.
Fly into Cebu and check where the wind blow and then decide. Bohol, Dumaguete(Apo and Siquijor), Malapascua, Moalboal and Southern Leyte etc etc., just to name a few.
No need to book anything in advance as it is low season.

ok... So i think the question for you here would be what are you coming for? If its to sit on a sunny beach Id say pick another month. But if it is to go diving, It could be raining out and UW it is most likely just perfect. Itd just be a tad bit colder sitting on the boat for an SIT in the rain but other than that you should be able to dive in most seas short of a full blown typhoon.

That being said the philippines is diveable in July-August it all boils down to whether or not your operator is prepared for changes in weather, mostly wind conditions which most operators anyway. Another plus is that for most resorts this is considered low-season so youd be able to take advantage of lower accomodation prices.

hope this helps... :)

PS... Though July-October used to be typhoon season... Most typhons in the last 3-5years have hit us in october-december if i am not mistaken....

I've been to Malapascua in July and September over the last few years and have been lucky enough to have the torrential rains skip the island whilst I was there. It did rain occasionally, mostly at night and the visibility was not that great underwater with the sediment stirred up, but still very diveable and I ended up with great tans with each of the trip.

Thinking of heading back there again this August and might try diving Moalboal or Mactan for the sardine ball

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom