2nd stage for single tank sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a reversible HOG Classic when I sidemount for my left hose and it goes in my necklace, I just don't like hoses behind my neck. Works like a champ and sidemount is not GUE or DIR so that you can ONLY do things one way.

No one ever said anything about not putting the hoses behind the neck. Just looking for recs for some reversible second stages...

Did you not imply that when you prefaced your question with """"

For those of you out there diving single tank sidemount or SM with 2 short hoses,

That standard pretty much prohibits wrapping any hose around the neck.

There are many 2nd stages to fit that need, I know this doesnt stay clear of merits of using a long hose but I agree with the long hose on the left and wrapping around the neck as the fix for left right 2nd stage issue as well as share air issues.

why does one have to be reverse?
I am wondering the same thing. Now, I am not trying to debate the merits, or persuade you to change your preference. Rather, I would like to better understand why you prefer a configuration where a second stage has a left-side feed.

There are several options for 'reversible' second stages that have already been mentioned (Apeks, Dive Rite, HOG, etc.), in answer to your question. But, since you raise the point, I want to better understand the perceived advantage of a left hand feed in single cylinder sidemount - for my own information. I teach SM, and have not encountered a student who even asked the question. :) So, I want to get more information on an approach that may help expand my offerings. I have not encountered a need to try it, and I may be missing something.

Perhaps, the issue is that you only have two (very) short second stage hoses to work with, and the length only allows for a left hand feed? ?

@Colliam7 in which case a $20 hose is a lot cheaper than a $200 second stage....
For my STSM setup, I take the left side of my sidemount kit, and put a 7ft hose on the bottom port. Easiest way to swap back and forth, and since I don't like 5th port for inflator, it works out really well.

since @sandita16 is in Mexico, I think it's safe to say that they're using the 5th port for inflation, and if that's the case, the two second stages will be setup identically to each other, other than one having a bolt snap on it and the other having a suicide strap on it. No fuss no muss

@Colliam7 in which case a $20 hose is a lot cheaper than a $200 second stage....
For my STSM setup, I take the left side of my sidemount kit, and put a 7ft hose on the bottom port. Easiest way to swap back and forth, and since I don't like 5th port for inflator, it works out really well. . . . I think it's safe to say that they're using the 5th port for inflation, and if that's the case, the two second stages will be setup identically to each other, other than one having a bolt snap on it and the other having a suicide strap on it. No fuss no muss
I agree (that a new hose is far less expensive than a top tier 2nd stage), and the two would be set up identically. That's why I, too, ask about the left side delivery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom